From: Binary
Subject: Seeking for classical LISP code
Hi all,

I am a beginner and have completed read some books &  papers about how
to do lisp programming. Now I wanna seek some code for reference.

My interpreter is Common LISP(clisp.sf.net), any better & more popular?

TIA.

Binary

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: Seeking for classical LISP code
On 21 Apr 2005 00:28:38 -0700, "Binary" <···········@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a beginner and have completed read some books & papers about
> how to do lisp programming. Now I wanna seek some code for
> reference.

Which ones have you read?  Have you looked at this one?

  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/>

> My interpreter is Common LISP(clisp.sf.net),

We usually call them "compilers" here and not "interpreters," because
they are able to compile to native machine code or (in rare cases) to
byte code.  Also, most people nowadays say "Lisp" and not "LISP."

Note that Common Lisp is a /language/ defined by an ANSI standard:

  <http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Front/index.htm>

What you're currently using is one /implementation/ of the language
Common Lisp and it's called "CLISP."

There are other dialects of Lisp (like Emacs Lisp or Scheme) and you
should make sure not to confuse them while learning one of them.

> any better & more popular?

Depends on what you'd define as "better."  It also depends on your
operating system.  Here's an overview:

  <http://lisp.tech.coop/implementation>

As far as popularity is concerned I /think/ the ones mostly used are

  AllegroCL
  LispWorks
  CMUCL
  SBCL