From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Subject: PCL; Lispbox 0.3 / Mac problem
I finally got my copy of PCL and it looks really good (design,
typesetting) and even smells good (one of the qualities of a new
book :D).  BTW, was the typesetting done with some Lisp tool, or
TeX, or did the Apress crew do it?

Well, I just downloaded Lispbox 0.3 for the Mac (with CLisp in it)
and installed.  Unfortunately Emacs doesn't run.  The crash log
shows the following problem (with ncurses; seems like Lispbox
linked Emacs against a newer version when compiling if I
understand that right):

OS Version:     10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
Report Version: 2

Command: Emacs

Link (dyld) error:

dyld:
/Applications/Lispbox/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/../../../Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs
version mismatch for library: /usr/lib/libncurses.5.dylib
(compatibility version of user: 6.0.0 greater than library's
version: 5.0.0)

Notes: IIRC I don't have Darwinports installed, and definitely no
Fink.  This is pretty much a pristine Mac system in regard to
installed libraries and programs.

--
No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's
consent. -- Abraham Lincoln

From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Re: PCL; Lispbox 0.3 / Mac problem
Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de> writes:

> I finally got my copy of PCL and it looks really good (design,
> typesetting) and even smells good (one of the qualities of a new book
> :D).  BTW, was the typesetting done with some Lisp tool, or TeX, or
> did the Apress crew do it?

The final typesetting was done by Apress in Framemarker. I did,
however, use cl-typesetting to generates nice PDFs for red-pen editing
while I was working on the book. And the box-and-arrow diagrams were
generated using CL-PDF.

> Well, I just downloaded Lispbox 0.3 for the Mac (with CLisp in it) and
> installed.  Unfortunately Emacs doesn't run.  The crash log shows the
> following problem (with ncurses; seems like Lispbox linked Emacs
> against a newer version when compiling if I understand that right):

Yes. This is due to my inability to hide my Fink installation from GCC
or something when building Lispbox. I thought I had fixed this in the
0.3 builds but it turns out I hadn't. Stay tuned for a 0.4 build which
will hopefully do a better job. Sorry for the confusion.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel                                     ·····@gigamonkeys.com

From: André Thieme
Peter Seibel schrieb:
> Stay tuned for a 0.4 build which will hopefully do a better job.

Do you think 0.4 will be available for Windows too?

Andr�
From: Peter Seibel
Andr� Thieme <······························@justmail.de> writes:

> Peter Seibel schrieb:
>> Stay tuned for a 0.4 build which will hopefully do a better job.
>
> Do you think 0.4 will be available for Windows too?

Some version soon will. Mostly it's limited by my not having a Windows
box myself to build it on. If someone wants to grab the Lispbox source:

  <http://www.common-lisp.net/pcl/lispbox-0.3-source.tar.gz>

And fill in the Windows build (which will entail mucking around with a
makefile a bit and figuring (I suspect) out how best to unpack and
repack the Windows binary distribution of Emacs 21.4, I'll happily
accept patches that might reduce the amount of time I have to spend
futzing around with Windows myself.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel                                     ·····@gigamonkeys.com