From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Common Lisp for Intel String ARM
Greetings!

Engelke Eschner <·······@tekai.org> wrote:
>> GCL should run on ARM

>> http://www.gnu.org/software/gcl/gcl.html

>I've tried to compile it on ARM (there is an iPaq cluster with internet
>connection and IDE disks attached at handhelds.org) and the "configure"
>detects the ARM system, but the compilation failed with "cc1: Invalid
>option `long-calls'". Perhaps someone has an already compiled version? But

This is a simple matter of a very out of date gcc on your system.  If
you can install gcc 3.3 or so, you'll be in business.  GCL takes
maxima, acl2 and axiom to ARM on Debian.   Even had a report of
someone running the axiom Debian binary on their handheld with an
extra memory stick!  The definition of 'embedded' certainly does
change with time.

Take care,

Camm Maguire			     			····@enhanced.com
From: Frank Buss
Subject: Re: Common Lisp for Intel String ARM
Camm Maguire <····@enhanced.com> wrote:

> This is a simple matter of a very out of date gcc on your system.  If
> you can install gcc 3.3 or so, you'll be in business.

the problem is, that I don't have a GCC 3.3 available for ARM. I've tried
to download a 3.3 crosscompiler version, which works on my PC, but looks
like GCL wants to run itself while compiling, so this doesn't work.

But I've loaded GCL 2.4.4 to a handhelds.org remote iPaq and compiled it
there with the GCC 2.95, which worked. Then I copied all files to my iPaq
(logged-in the iPaq with a terminal program over serial port and
transfered with rz/sz z-modem) and it works, after some problems with the
readline library: when available, there is no input and when deleting it,
there is an error on start, but which can be skipped with ":resume":

http://www.frank-buss.de/tmp/gcl1.jpg

One nice thing of the GPE GUI for iPaq Linux is the screen rotater:

http://www.frank-buss.de/tmp/gcl2.jpg

I'm waiting for my CompactFlash-Adapter for the iPaq, then I can use more
external memory, NFS mounted partitions with network card etc., for
building and running GCC 3.3 on the device and then it should be possible
to compile the latest GCL and other programs.

--
Frank Bu�, ··@frank-buss.de