From: M Jared Finder
Subject: Using ASDF for building non-CL based systems?
Does anyone here have experience in using ASDF to build a non-Common
Lisp based system?  I have a medium-sized personal project currently
using MS Visual Studio that I'd like to port to a more cross platform
and flexible build system.

I'd prefer to use a build system that is highly flexible and doesn't
require me to learn Yet Another Syntax -- in other words I want a Lisp
based system.  ASDF seems like it would do exactly what I want, if I
just knew how to customize it.  However, I can't find any examples of
using ASDF for non-Lisp systems, and its documentation is extremely lacking.

Does anyone here have experience in using ASDF in this way?  Or do you
think it would be a better idea to give up and just use the ugly, but
well documented GNU Make?

   -- MJF

From: vrotaru
Subject: Re: Using ASDF for building non-CL based systems?
M Jared Finder <·····@hpalace.com> writes:

> Does anyone here have experience in using ASDF to build a non-Common
> Lisp based system?  I have a medium-sized personal project currently
> using MS Visual Studio that I'd like to port to a more cross platform
> and flexible build system.
>
> I'd prefer to use a build system that is highly flexible and doesn't
> require me to learn Yet Another Syntax -- in other words I want a Lisp
> based system.  ASDF seems like it would do exactly what I want, if I
> just knew how to customize it.  However, I can't find any examples of
> using ASDF for non-Lisp systems, and its documentation is extremely
> lacking.
>
> Does anyone here have experience in using ASDF in this way?  Or do you
> think it would be a better idea to give up and just use the ugly, but
> well documented GNU Make?
>
>    -- MJF

The clgtk project (now defunct?) did something of the kind.

I'll give here the relevant bits of clgtk.asd

;;the gtkd stuff is a modified form of the unix-dso stuff
;;from Dan Barlow's db-sockets.asd
.
.
.

(defmethod perform ((op compile-op) (c c-source-file))
  (unless
      (= 0 (run-shell-command
"/usr/bin/gcc -w `pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0` -o ~S -c ~S"
			      (unix-name (car (output-files op c)))
			      (unix-name (component-pathname c))))
    (error 'operation-error :operation op :component c)))
.
.
.

Good luck!

--
                                                     If in doubt, argue.
From: M Jared Finder
vrotaru wrote:
> M Jared Finder <·····@hpalace.com> writes:
>

>>Does anyone here have experience in using ASDF to build a non-Common
>>Lisp based system?  I have a medium-sized personal project currently
>>using MS Visual Studio that I'd like to port to a more cross platform
>>and flexible build system.
>>
>>I'd prefer to use a build system that is highly flexible and doesn't
>>require me to learn Yet Another Syntax -- in other words I want a Lisp
>>based system.  ASDF seems like it would do exactly what I want, if I
>>just knew how to customize it.  However, I can't find any examples of
>>using ASDF for non-Lisp systems, and its documentation is extremely
>>lacking.
>>
>>Does anyone here have experience in using ASDF in this way?  Or do you
>>think it would be a better idea to give up and just use the ugly, but
>>well documented GNU Make?
>>
>>   -- MJF
>

> The clgtk project (now defunct?) did something of the kind.
>
> I'll give here the relevant bits of clgtk.asd

Thank you for your suggestion.   clgtk.asd looks like a great example of
what I want.

   -- MJF
From: Kiyoshi Mizumaru
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:22:00 -0700, M Jared Finder <·····@hpalace.com>
wrote:

> However, I can't find any examples of using ASDF for non-Lisp systems,

I suggest uffi-tests.asd included in uffi-1.4.37.tar.gz.
hope this helps,