From: Alex Farran
Subject: SLIME problem
I'm running through Practical Common Lisp using SLIME + clisp, and
I've run into a problem in chapter 3 with the prompt-for-cd function:

(defun prompt-for-cd ()
  (make-cd
   (prompt-read "Title")
   (prompt-read "Artist")
   (or (parse-integer (prompt-read "Rating") :junk-allowed t))
   (y-or-n-p "Ripped [y/n]: ")))

If I run clisp in a terminal it works as expcted:

[6]> (prompt-for-cd)
Title: La Peste
Artist: Alabama 3
Rating: 5
Ripped [y/n]:  (y/n) y
(:TITLE "La Peste" :ARTIST "Alabama 3" :RATING 5 :RIPPED T)

But in SLIME this happens:
CL-USER> (prompt-for-cd)
Title: La Peste
Artist: Rating: 5

Ripped [y/n]:  (y/n)
Please answer with y or n : y

(:TITLE "La Peste" :ARTIST "" :RATING 5 :RIPPED T)
CL-USER>

It seems that for every one newline I enter two are sent.  Is there
something I can configure to fix it?

Alex

From: Alex Farran
Subject: Re: SLIME problem
From: André Thieme
Alex Farran schrieb:
> I've upgraded to the latest version of SLIME from CVS and the problem
> has disappeared.

I experienced the same when I tried the example of chapter 3.
You said you used clisp+slime. Did you install them manually or via
"Lisp in a Box" and under what OS?

Andr�
From: Alex Farran
Andr� Thieme writes:

> I experienced the same when I tried the example of chapter 3.
> You said you used clisp+slime. Did you install them manually or via
> "Lisp in a Box" and under what OS?

I'm running Slackware linux 10.  I installed slime manually first,
using the version of slime from lisp-in-a-box with my existing
installations of emacs and clisp.  Then I built the whole
lisp-in-a-box package in a subdirectory.  Then I tried with sbcl
instead of clisp.  Finally I tried the latest slime from CVS and that
worked, though I can't get it to start with sbcl.
From: Brad Anderson
Alex Farran wrote:
> Andr� Thieme writes:
>

>>I experienced the same when I tried the example of chapter 3.
>>You said you used clisp+slime. Did you install them manually or via
>>"Lisp in a Box" and under what OS?
>

> I'm running Slackware linux 10.  I installed slime manually first,
> using the version of slime from lisp-in-a-box with my existing
> installations of emacs and clisp.  Then I built the whole
> lisp-in-a-box package in a subdirectory.  Then I tried with sbcl
> instead of clisp.  Finally I tried the latest slime from CVS and that
> worked, though I can't get it to start with sbcl.

On your SBCL issue:

Because SLIME doesn't let you pick which Common Lisp implementation to
use by default, I had to change some things around.  SLIME defaults to
CMUCL, I believe, and looks for Lisp at /usr/bin/lisp.  If you don't
have CMUCL installed, that binary won't be installed.  I ended up
aliasing /usr/bin/sbcl to /usr/bin/lisp and things began to work when
starting SLIME.

You could also start SLIME the following (longer)ways:

C-u M-x slime RET sbcl RET

C-u M-x slime RET clisp RET

HTH,
BA
From: Peter Seibel
Brad Anderson <····@dsource.org> writes:

> Alex Farran wrote:
>> Andr� Thieme writes:
>>
>>>I experienced the same when I tried the example of chapter 3.
>>>You said you used clisp+slime. Did you install them manually or via
>>>"Lisp in a Box" and under what OS?
>> I'm running Slackware linux 10.  I installed slime manually first,
>> using the version of slime from lisp-in-a-box with my existing
>> installations of emacs and clisp.  Then I built the whole
>> lisp-in-a-box package in a subdirectory.  Then I tried with sbcl
>> instead of clisp.  Finally I tried the latest slime from CVS and that
>> worked, though I can't get it to start with sbcl.
>
> On your SBCL issue:
>
> Because SLIME doesn't let you pick which Common Lisp implementation to
> use by default,

That's not really true. Even in olden-days (i.e. 1.0 and before) you
could set inferior-lisp-program. These days (CVS SLIME) you can
include any number of lines like this in your .emacs

(slime-register-lisp-implementation "allegro" "/usr/local/acl/acl70/alisp")
(slime-register-lisp-implementation "clisp" "/usr/local/bin/clisp -K full")
(slime-register-lisp-implementation "sbcl" "/usr/local/bin/sbcl")
(slime-register-lisp-implementation "cmucl" "/usr/local/src/cmucl-18e/bin/lisp")

The first registered lisp will be the default. And the others are
available with M-x slime via the "symbolic" name (e.g. allegro, clisp,
sbcl, and cmucl in this case)

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel                                     ·····@gigamonkeys.com

From: Brad Anderson
Peter Seibel wrote:
> Brad Anderson <····@dsource.org> writes:
>

>>Alex Farran wrote:

>>>I'm running Slackware linux 10.  I installed slime manually first,
>>>using the version of slime from lisp-in-a-box with my existing
>>>installations of emacs and clisp.  Then I built the whole
>>>lisp-in-a-box package in a subdirectory.  Then I tried with sbcl
>>>instead of clisp.  Finally I tried the latest slime from CVS and that
>>>worked, though I can't get it to start with sbcl.
>>
>>On your SBCL issue:
>>
>>Because SLIME doesn't let you pick which Common Lisp implementation to
>>use by default,
>

> That's not really true. Even in olden-days (i.e. 1.0 and before) you
> could set inferior-lisp-program. These days (CVS SLIME) you can
> include any number of lines like this in your .emacs
>
> (slime-register-lisp-implementation "allegro" "/usr/local/acl/acl70/alisp")
> (slime-register-lisp-implementation "clisp" "/usr/local/bin/clisp -K full")
> (slime-register-lisp-implementation "sbcl" "/usr/local/bin/sbcl")
> (slime-register-lisp-implementation "cmucl" "/usr/local/src/cmucl-18e/bin/lisp")
>
> The first registered lisp will be the default. And the others are
> available with M-x slime via the "symbolic" name (e.g. allegro, clisp,
> sbcl, and cmucl in this case)
>
> -Peter

Cool.  I stand corrected.  My post was from help I got with my Gentoo
system.  While the aliasing works, as do the longer SLIME starting
steps, these entries into .emacs seem like the way to go.

Thanks.
From: GP lisper
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 22:18:52 GMT, <····@dsource.org> wrote:
>> Peter Seibel wrote:
>> (slime-register-lisp-implementation "allegro" "/usr/local/acl/acl70/alisp")
>> (slime-register-lisp-implementation "clisp" "/usr/local/bin/clisp -K full")
>> (slime-register-lisp-implementation "sbcl" "/usr/local/bin/sbcl")
>> (slime-register-lisp-implementation "cmucl" "/usr/local/src/cmucl-18e/bin/lisp")
>>
>> The first registered lisp will be the default. And the others are
>> available with M-x slime via the "symbolic" name (e.g. allegro, clisp,
>> sbcl, and cmucl in this case)
>
> Cool.  I stand corrected.  My post was from help I got with my Gentoo
> system.  While the aliasing works, as do the longer SLIME starting
> steps, these entries into .emacs seem like the way to go.

Where did you get the Gentoo help?  Forums, IRC, bug-report?

--
Everyman has three hearts;
one to show the world, one to show friends, and one only he knows.
From: Brad Anderson
GP lisper wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 22:18:52 GMT, <····@dsource.org> wrote:
>
>>>Peter Seibel wrote:
>>>(slime-register-lisp-implementation "allegro" "/usr/local/acl/acl70/alisp")
>>>(slime-register-lisp-implementation "clisp" "/usr/local/bin/clisp -K full")
>>>(slime-register-lisp-implementation "sbcl" "/usr/local/bin/sbcl")
>>>(slime-register-lisp-implementation "cmucl" "/usr/local/src/cmucl-18e/bin/lisp")
>>>
>>>The first registered lisp will be the default. And the others are
>>>available with M-x slime via the "symbolic" name (e.g. allegro, clisp,
>>>sbcl, and cmucl in this case)
>>
>>Cool.  I stand corrected.  My post was from help I got with my Gentoo
>>system.  While the aliasing works, as do the longer SLIME starting
>>steps, these entries into .emacs seem like the way to go.
>

> Where did you get the Gentoo help?  Forums, IRC, bug-report?

Nowhere public that is out there for others to trip over...

BA
From: Alex Farran
Brad Anderson writes:

> Alex Farran wrote:

>> Finally I tried the latest slime from CVS and that worked, though I
>> can't get it to start with sbcl.

> On your SBCL issue:

> Because SLIME doesn't let you pick which Common Lisp implementation to
> use by default, I had to change some things around.

That's not my problem.  I just set inferior-lisp-program to clisp or
sbcl as appropriate.  My problem is that in the cvs version sbcl
errors on startup (the lisp-in-a-box version started sbcl fine).  I'm
content to clisp for now as it makes little difference at this stage.