From: David Steuber
Subject: A Trip Back in Time
I think I've mentioned before that Lisp has been like a strange
attractor for me.  Well, I was just taking a trip down memory lane,
AKA Google Groups, and found some cll articles I posted that lead to
my first false start with Lisp.  One that seems particularly telling
is this one:

  http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/98015998cf646636

In the same thread, Rainer Joswig posted this rather prophetic
article:

  http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/4b6ae385e759cc09

I could really have had this language down by now :-(

I did find an extra quote worth adding to my .sig.  My PowerBook G4 is
named interloper.  Previously that name belonged to a PPro 200.

--
An ideal world is left as an excercise to the reader.
   --- Paul Graham, On Lisp 8.1

From: Glen Able
Subject: Re: A Trip Back in Time
David Steuber wrote:
> I think I've mentioned before that Lisp has been like a strange
> attractor for me.  Well, I was just taking a trip down memory lane,
> AKA Google Groups, and found some cll articles I posted that lead to
> my first false start with Lisp.  One that seems particularly telling
> is this one:
>
>   http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/98015998cf646636
>
> In the same thread, Rainer Joswig posted this rather prophetic
> article:
>
>   http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/4b6ae385e759cc09
>
> I could really have had this language down by now :-(
>
> I did find an extra quote worth adding to my .sig.  My PowerBook G4 is
> named interloper.  Previously that name belonged to a PPro 200.

I suspect there's plenty of us around who are excited by the potential
we see in Lisp, but keep abjectly failing to get off the ground.

I'm still struggling to find a satisfactory Lisp for Windows.  Something
with a decent IDE and which isn't a stupid crippled trial version that
deliberately exits or expires when I've barely got started doing
anything.  Note to vendors:  I'm not going to fork out several hundred
quid for something until I start using it professionally.  If I can't
trial your package in an unrestricted way then your market probably
won't ever expand to include me :)

This morning I found "Lisp in a Box".  The home page makes it sound
wonderfully simple.  However, when I try to run the emacs tutorial as
advised, the file appears to be missing.  A bit more farting around
trying to figure it out, and my c++ has finished compiling, so back to work.

p.s. is the PCL book coming to Europe soon?
From: Lars Brinkhoff
Glen Able <·········@gmail.com> writes:
> p.s. is the PCL book coming to Europe soon?

I ordered it from a Swedish internet bookstore, and they claimed
delivery within two weeks.
From: Andreas Thiele
"Lars Brinkhoff" <·········@nocrew.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
···················@junk.nocrew.org...
> Glen Able <·········@gmail.com> writes:
> > p.s. is the PCL book coming to Europe soon?
>
> I ordered it from a Swedish internet bookstore, and they claimed
> delivery within two weeks.

I already got my preorder from amazon.de
From: Cor Gest
"Andreas Thiele" <······@nospam.com> writes:

> > I ordered it from a Swedish internet bookstore, and they claimed
> > delivery within two weeks.
>
> I already got my preorder from amazon.de

No problems here, in NL.
ordered april 8 at amazon usa,
delivery was last wednesday april 13.

Cor

--
To really make a mess of things one should use a computer
From: Paolo Amoroso
Cor Gest <···@clsnet.nl> writes:

> No problems here, in NL.
> ordered april 8 at amazon usa,
> delivery was last wednesday april 13.

I live in Italy and I preordered "Practical Common Lisp" in August
2004, and am still waiting for it...

Paolo
Recommended Common Lisp libraries/tools (see also http://clrfi.alu.org):
- ASDF/ASDF-INSTALL: system building/installation
- CL-PPCRE: regular expressions
- UFFI: Foreign Function Interface
From: Nils Stritzel
On 2005-04-17 11:40:18 +0200, Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> said:

> Cor Gest <···@clsnet.nl> writes:
>
>> No problems here, in NL.
>> ordered april 8 at amazon usa,
>> delivery was last wednesday april 13.
>
> I live in Italy and I preordered "Practical Common Lisp" in August
> 2004, and am still waiting for it...
>

> Paolo

I just looked at amazon.de where they say it takes about 2 weeks to get
the book.
But at amazon.fr they still have one exemplar in stock.
At amazon.co.uk they say the book takes 4 to 6 weeks to arrive.

Nils
From: Frank Goenninger DG1SBG
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:

> Cor Gest <···@clsnet.nl> writes:
>
>> No problems here, in NL.
>> ordered april 8 at amazon usa,
>> delivery was last wednesday april 13.
>
> I live in Italy and I preordered "Practical Common Lisp" in August
> 2004, and am still waiting for it...

I live in Germany and had to discover that Amazon somehow lost my
pre-order!

So I re-ordered on amazon.de and got the book within one week. You
might want to check if your pre-order is still active...

Frank
From: Paolo Amoroso
Frank Goenninger DG1SBG <················@t-online.de> writes:

> So I re-ordered on amazon.de and got the book within one week. You
> might want to check if your pre-order is still active...

The order has been fulfilled, the book is on its way.

From: Wolfgang Mederle
Glen Able wrote:

> p.s. is the PCL book coming to Europe soon?

Received it today.

--
Wolfgang Mederle
<URL:http://mederle.de/>
From: André Thieme
Glen Able schrieb:

> This morning I found "Lisp in a Box".  The home page makes it sound
> wonderfully simple.  However, when I try to run the emacs tutorial as
> advised, the file appears to be missing.  A bit more farting around
> trying to figure it out, and my c++ has finished compiling, so back to
> work.

Only a few days ago I asked Peter Seibel if he plans to include the
tutorials in his new version of "Lisp in a Box" and he confirmed on
that. Look at his PCL-site, I suppose he is working on a windows version.

Andr�