From: James Graves
Subject: OT: Newsreader Killfiles
Hello All,

For reasons I don't fully understand, comp.lang.lisp seems to suffer
troll more than the other newsgroups I subscribe to.  Or maybe it is me.

At any rate, I encourage everyone to not respond to the trolls, and just
killfile them instead.  Killfiles are not hard to set up, and just a little
bit of effort can help prevent you from wasting your time.

For example, I am using the venerable trn (written by good ol' Larry
Wall et. al.).  Here are a couple example killfile entries.

I'm not interested in the newsgroup statistics, so I have this one:

/: *Statistics for comp\.lang/:j

And this should kill anything from ···@xahlee.org, and any replies to
that post:

····@xahlee.org/Hfrom:,

In my view, it doesn't do much good to respond to trolls (*), you aren't
able to educate them.  There is the argument to be made that you don't
want to let the trolls anything, because the people who lurk might
believe what they say if it isn't refuted.  But I have to hope that
those lurkers will be able to figure out on their own who has good
information, and who is full of hot air.

This is just my (unsolicited) advice.

Take care,

James Graves

(*) Or people who claim they are not trolls, but consistently act like
them.

From: Fernando
Subject: Re: OT: Newsreader Killfiles
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:05:22 +0000 (UTC), ·······@typhoon.xnet.com
(James Graves) wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>For reasons I don't fully understand, comp.lang.lisp seems to suffer
>troll more than the other newsgroups I subscribe to.  Or maybe it is me.

You should have seen cll a few years ago.

>And this should kill anything from ···@xahlee.org, and any replies to
>that post:
>
>····@xahlee.org/Hfrom:,
>
>In my view, it doesn't do much good to respond to trolls (*), you aren't

Please show some respect: xahlee is one of the oldest trolls over
here. He's almost a tradition in cll. ;-)
From: Barry Margolin
In article <··································@4ax.com>,
 Fernando  <···@easyjob.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:05:22 +0000 (UTC), ·······@typhoon.xnet.com
> (James Graves) wrote:
>
> >Hello All,
> >
> >For reasons I don't fully understand, comp.lang.lisp seems to suffer
> >troll more than the other newsgroups I subscribe to.  Or maybe it is me.
>
> You should have seen cll a few years ago.

Yeah, what ever happened to Erik?

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Fernando Rodriguez
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:52:06 -0400, Barry Margolin
<······@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>> >For reasons I don't fully understand, comp.lang.lisp seems to suffer
>> >troll more than the other newsgroups I subscribe to.  Or maybe it is me.
>>
>> You should have seen cll a few years ago.
>
>Yeah, what ever happened to Erik?

Ssshhhh!! Don't name him, or you might summon him.
From: ··············@hotmail.com
Barry Margolin wrote:

> Yeah, what ever happened to Erik?

According to the messages on naggum.no, and on some postings he made
here and elsewhere, he developed some health problems that have
apparently reduced both his programming activity and his news-posting
activity.

His posting activity seems to be mostly in Norwegian these days.
From: GP lisper
On 15 Apr 2005 11:16:49 -0700, <············@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Barry Margolin wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, what ever happened to Erik?
>>
> According to the messages on naggum.no, and on some postings he made
> here and elsewhere, he developed some health problems that have
> apparently reduced both his programming activity and his news-posting
> activity.

hmm...makes you want to believe in 'karma.

--
Everyman has three hearts;
one to show the world, one to show friends, and one only he knows.
From: Gareth McCaughan
Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <··································@4ax.com>,
>  Fernando  <···@easyjob.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:05:22 +0000 (UTC), ·······@typhoon.xnet.com
>> (James Graves) wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> For reasons I don't fully understand, comp.lang.lisp seems to suffer
>>> troll more than the other newsgroups I subscribe to.  Or maybe it is me.
>>
>> You should have seen cll a few years ago.
>
> Yeah, what ever happened to Erik?

He was sick for a while (I don't know what with, but it sounds
like it wasn't much fun) and absent from newsgroups. He returned
briefly to c.l.l some months ago (maybe it was about a year?)
and for a while it seemed as if we were going to get his expertise
back without the flamewars that so often seemed to erupt in his
vicinity; but after a couple of weeks there was enough flaming
that he said he'd had enough and quit posting in c.l.l. He hasn't
been back since. I hope his health is OK.

(I decline to pass judgement on whether the flaming was
Erik's "fault" or others' or both. Not an interesting
or important question except for the people directly
concerned.)

--
Gareth McCaughan
.sig under construc
From: Christopher C. Stacy
Gareth McCaughan <················@pobox.com> writes:

> Barry Margolin wrote:
>
> > In article <··································@4ax.com>,
> >  Fernando  <···@easyjob.net> wrote:

> >> You should have seen cll a few years ago.
> >
> > Yeah, what ever happened to Erik?
>
> He was sick for a while (I don't know what with, but it sounds
> like it wasn't much fun) and absent from newsgroups. He returned
> briefly to c.l.l some months ago (maybe it was about a year?)
> and for a while it seemed as if we were going to get his expertise
> back without the flamewars that so often seemed to erupt in his
> vicinity; but after a couple of weeks there was enough flaming
> that he said he'd had enough and quit posting in c.l.l. He hasn't
> been back since. I hope his health is OK.
>
> (I decline to pass judgement on whether the flaming was
> Erik's "fault" or others' or both. Not an interesting
> or important question except for the people directly
> concerned.)

I think it mostly has to do with the fact that Usenet is an
inherently psychotic medium.

Hey, let's set up an information dissemenation system where any
ill-informed lunatic can come along and write stuff, even to the
point of interfering with any reasonable conversations, and let's
also make sure that whoever gets the last word in, "wins",
and is what newcomers are most likely to find!  For added fun,
let's use it to discuss issues about which people have deeply
entrenched competing religous beliefs!

Now let's occasionally try to make sense of this by, if you're Erik,
explaining to people the nature of their irrational episodes of
cognitive dissonance.  Surely that will help get things back on
track to informative discussion.

I have to say, I'm getting really tired of it all myself, and don't
blame Erik one bit for leaving.  It proves that he saner than I am.
From: Tobias C. Rittweiler
·······@typhoon.xnet.com (James Graves) writes:

> For reasons I don't fully understand, comp.lang.lisp seems to suffer
> troll more than the other newsgroups I subscribe to.  Or maybe it is
> me.
>
> At any rate, I encourage everyone to not respond to the trolls, and
> just killfile them instead.  Killfiles are not hard to set up, and
> just a little bit of effort can help prevent you from wasting your
> time.

I wonder why you don't follow your own logic more strictly: If you don't
want to read subthreads started by certain people, then let exactly
those kind of subthreads be killed and you will Read in Peace.

(Or was it just a sudden burst of altruism on your part, perhaps,
because you just met a nice girl?)

--tcr.