From: alain75
Subject: Returning to Lisp or Scheme, need help to choose environment
Hello everybody,

I used to program quite a bit in Lisp some times ago (like ten or 15
years  ... ) and currently I would like to play around with some
programming ideas I have (graphical stuff with a lot of patterns and
recursivity).

I almost don't program anymore (except for a few excel macro ;) ), but
I'v used lisp, Perl, C, C++,  Java in the past, so I'm a kind of a
returned newbie ;).

This would be purely personal stuff on a PC with XP, I guess I could go
with Java but would prefer to get back in the "lisp mind set" and also
it would I think be quite suited for the ideas I have.

Looking for the good environment to choose, I'm not sure what to take !
would also like it to be free if possible, my requirements :

1) runs on Windows XP with a good integrated environment : editing,
running, debugging

2) has a GUI builder for windows (or can this thing be done in Tcl/TK
or something ? )

3) has good graphical primitives on windows

4) is free  (I think the programs I'm thinking about would tend to
build quite a big heap with long recursive search algorithms so
wouldn't like limitations there)

5) if possible with the possibility to have the resulting program as a
simple exe without the need for additional lisp/scheme environment to
run it)

Anybody to point me in the right directions ? be it scheme or lisp ?

Thanks a lot in advance

From: Jonathan Bartlett
DrScheme is a really good environment, and has COM support, too.  I
don't think it has a GUI builder, though.

Jon
----
Learn to program in Linux assembly language
http://www.cafeshops.com/bartlettpublish.8640017
From: Oyvin Halfdan Thuv
Jonathan Bartlett <·······@eskimo.com> writes:

> DrScheme is a really good environment, and has COM support, too.  I
> don't think it has a GUI builder, though.

Use MrEdDesigner (linked from www.plt-scheme.org). You can build GUI
executables for FreeBSD, MacOS, Linux and Windows (code once, compile for each
platform).

And it's for free.

--
Oyvin
From: alain75
From: Pascal Costanza
alain75 wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I used to program quite a bit in Lisp some times ago (like ten or 15
> years  ... ) and currently I would like to play around with some
> programming ideas I have (graphical stuff with a lot of patterns and
> recursivity).
[...]

> Looking for the good environment to choose, I'm not sure what to take !
> would also like it to be free if possible, my requirements :
>
> 1) runs on Windows XP with a good integrated environment : editing,
> running, debugging
>
> 2) has a GUI builder for windows (or can this thing be done in Tcl/TK
> or something ? )
>
> 3) has good graphical primitives on windows
>
> 4) is free  (I think the programs I'm thinking about would tend to
> build quite a big heap with long recursive search algorithms so
> wouldn't like limitations there)
>
> 5) if possible with the possibility to have the resulting program as a
> simple exe without the need for additional lisp/scheme environment to
> run it)

For Common Lisp, you can find an overview of existing implementations at
http://lisp.tech.coop/implementation

You have to make some compromise though. The ones with an integrated
development environment cost money, but check out the trial versions.
Otherwise, you basically have to live with Emacs + SLIME (which many do
very happily).

Pascal

--
2nd European Lisp and Scheme Workshop
July 26 - Glasgow, Scotland - co-located with ECOOP 2005
From: TLOlczyk
On 11 Apr 2005 07:17:50 -0700, "alain75" <·········@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hello everybody,
>
>I used to program quite a bit in Lisp some times ago (like ten or 15
>years  ... ) and currently I would like to play around with some
>programming ideas I have (graphical stuff with a lot of patterns and
>recursivity).
>
>I almost don't program anymore (except for a few excel macro ;) ), but
>I'v used lisp, Perl, C, C++,  Java in the past, so I'm a kind of a
>returned newbie ;).
>
>This would be purely personal stuff on a PC with XP, I guess I could go
>with Java but would prefer to get back in the "lisp mind set" and also
>it would I think be quite suited for the ideas I have.
>
>Looking for the good environment to choose, I'm not sure what to take !
>would also like it to be free if possible, my requirements :
>
>1) runs on Windows XP with a good integrated environment : editing,
>running, debugging
>
>2) has a GUI builder for windows (or can this thing be done in Tcl/TK
>or something ? )
>
>3) has good graphical primitives on windows
>
>4) is free  (I think the programs I'm thinking about would tend to
>build quite a big heap with long recursive search algorithms so
>wouldn't like limitations there)
>
>5) if possible with the possibility to have the resulting program as a
>simple exe without the need for additional lisp/scheme environment to
>run it)
>
>Anybody to point me in the right directions ? be it scheme or lisp ?

Both SBCL and CMUCL are workingon Windows ports. Last I
heard on SBCL was last year, but the CMUCL mentioned that if
not for a conference he is organising, he would have released a
"preliminary version" already.  So look for it in the next few months.

The reply-to email address is ··········@yahoo.com.
This is an address I ignore.
To reply via email, remove 2002 and change yahoo to
interaccess,

**
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD

There is a difference between
*thinking* you know something,
and *knowing* you know something.
From: Carl Shapiro
TLOlczyk <··········@yahoo.com> writes:

> Both SBCL and CMUCL are workingon Windows ports. Last I
> heard on SBCL was last year, but the CMUCL mentioned that if
> not for a conference he is organising, he would have released a
> "preliminary version" already.  So look for it in the next few months.

Support CMUCL/Win32, attend the ILC 2005!

http://www.international-lisp-conference.org
From: A.L.
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 04:13:54 GMT, TLOlczyk <··········@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Both SBCL and CMUCL are workingon Windows ports. Last I
>heard on SBCL was last year, but the CMUCL mentioned that if
>not for a conference he is organising, he would have released a
>"preliminary version" already.  So look for it in the next few months.

Better later than never...

A.L.