From: Robert Bralic
Subject: Golden common LISP !!
Dear,

Does anybody have a Golden Common LISP,
I tryed to step into a contact with:
http://www.goldhill-inc.com, several times, but
they don't respond.I ned him becouse he s only
who have a SQL connection under Windows,
I tryed with LISPWORKS,and Allegro, but
that doesen't work.

                                             Thanks in advance !
                                             Robert Bralic
                                             Danilska 7
                                             22000 Sibenik
                                             Croatia
                                             ···········@yahoo.co.uk

From: Robert Bruce Carleton
Subject: Re: Golden common LISP !!
Robert Bralic wrote:

> Dear,
>
> Does anybody have a Golden Common LISP,
> I tryed to step into a contact with:
> http://www.goldhill-inc.com, several times, but
> they don't respond.I ned him becouse he s only
> who have a SQL connection under Windows,
> I tryed with LISPWORKS,and Allegro, but
> that doesen't work.
>
>                                              Thanks in advance !
>                                              Robert Bralic
>                                              Danilska 7
>                                              22000 Sibenik
>                                              Croatia
>                                              ···········@yahoo.co.uk
How about Corman Common Lisp:

 http://www.cormanlisp.com/

   --Bruce

--
Robert Bruce Carleton + http://home.hakuhale.net/rbc/
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"Robert Bralic" <···········@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Dear,
>
> Does anybody have a Golden Common LISP,
> I tryed to step into a contact with:
> http://www.goldhill-inc.com, several times, but
> they don't respond.I ned him becouse he s only
> who have a SQL connection under Windows,
> I tryed with LISPWORKS,and Allegro, but
> that doesen't work.

clisp works on MS-Windows.  The Pg package works on clisp, which
allows to connect to a PostGreSQL database.  You can even run
PostGreSQL on MS-Windows.

Therefore there is at least one alternative to Golden Common Lisp to
have a SQL connection from a Common Lisp on MS-Windows.

http://clisp.cons.org
http://www.cliki.net/Pg
http://www.postgresql.org
http://ciapek.uci.agh.edu.pl/~kwlodarc/VisualCLisp/en.htm

Nobody can fix the economy.  Nobody can be trusted with their finger
on the button.  Nobody's perfect.  VOTE FOR NOBODY.
From: Vladimir Sekissov
Pascal Bourguignon <····@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message news:<··············@thalassa.informatimago.com>...

> clisp works on MS-Windows.  The Pg package works on clisp, which
> allows to connect to a PostGreSQL database.  You can even run
> PostGreSQL on MS-Windows.

Latest CVS-version of Clisp can also run CLSQL. I've tested it with
CLSQL postgres-socket driver and it passed all CLSQL tests except 4,
where loop macro was used.

Possibly other drivers would also work after some struggling with
CLSQL UFFI stuff.

Best Regards,
Vladimir Sekissov
From: Sam Steingold
> * Vladimir Sekissov <···@fhearg.eh> [2005-04-08 08:02:23 -0700]:
>
> Latest CVS-version of Clisp can also run CLSQL. I've tested it with
> CLSQL postgres-socket driver and it passed all CLSQL tests,

cool!
Why does not <http://clsql.b9.com/> list CLISP then?

> except 4 where loop macro was used.

is this a CLISP loop bug or a test bug?

<http://www.honestreporting.com> <http://www.dhimmi.com/> <http://pmw.org.il/>
<http://www.memri.org/> <http://www.mideasttruth.com/>
Type louder, please.
From: Kevin M. Rosenberg
On 2005-04-08, Sam Steingold <···@gnu.org> wrote:
> cool!
> Why does not <http://clsql.b9.com/> list CLISP then?

1. I wasn't aware than postgresql-socket backend did work on CLSQL. In
fact, I don't believe that that it could since I've had to write
implementation-specific socket code to handle the opening of socket
streams and CLSQL does not not have a function to open a socket on CLISP.

2. Without UFFI support, then only the postgresql-socket backend will
work. That still leaves the mysql, postgresql, odbc, oracle, sqlite,
and sqlite3 backends non-functioning on CLISP.

3. There are few people using CVS HEAD CLISP which has the requisite
MOP to support CLSQL

>> except 4 where loop macro was used.
>
> is this a CLISP loop bug or a test bug?

Neither. I've had to write implemention-specific code for the loop
extensions for each supported lisp implementation: allegro, cmucl,
lispworks, openmcl, and sbcl. Without diving into the innards of
CLISP's loop facility and writing new CLSQL code, none of the loop
tests will work on CLISP.

--
Kevin Rosenberg
·····@rosenberg.net
From: Robert Bralic
"Pascal Bourguignon" <····@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message
···················@thalassa.informatimago.com...
> "Robert Bralic" <···········@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Dear,
> >
> > Does anybody have a Golden Common LISP,
> > I tryed to step into a contact with:
> > http://www.goldhill-inc.com, several times, but
> > they don't respond.I ned him becouse he s only
> > who have a SQL connection under Windows,
> > I tryed with LISPWORKS,and Allegro, but
> > that doesen't work.
>
> clisp works on MS-Windows.  The Pg package works on clisp, which
> allows to connect to a PostGreSQL database.  You can even run
> PostGreSQL on MS-Windows.
>
> Therefore there is at least one alternative to Golden Common Lisp to
> have a SQL connection from a Common Lisp on MS-Windows.
>
> http://clisp.cons.org
> http://www.cliki.net/Pg
> http://www.postgresql.org
> http://ciapek.uci.agh.edu.pl/~kwlodarc/VisualCLisp/en.htm
>

> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/
>
> Nobody can fix the economy.  Nobody can be trusted with their finger
> on the button.  Nobody's perfect.  VOTE FOR NOBODY.

Dear,

   Thank you wery much ,but I can't find how to run function on V-CLISP,or
program.
Is there any manual, maybe I'am stuppid but I can't find hoe to run program
in VISUAL-CLISP.

Thanks in advance !

···········@yahoo.co.uk
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"Robert Bralic" <···········@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> > clisp works on MS-Windows.  The Pg package works on clisp, which
> > allows to connect to a PostGreSQL database.  You can even run
> > PostGreSQL on MS-Windows.
> >
> > Therefore there is at least one alternative to Golden Common Lisp to
> > have a SQL connection from a Common Lisp on MS-Windows.
> >
> > http://clisp.cons.org
> > http://www.cliki.net/Pg
> > http://www.postgresql.org
> > http://ciapek.uci.agh.edu.pl/~kwlodarc/VisualCLisp/en.htm
>
>    Thank you wery much ,but I can't find how to run function on V-CLISP,or
> program.
> Is there any manual, maybe I'am stuppid but I can't find hoe to run program
> in VISUAL-CLISP.

Just select in the menu Compiler / Debug (F5), and type commands in
the  "Enter" field of the output window.

From: Sam Steingold
> * Pascal Bourguignon <····@zbhfr-cbgngb.pbz> [2005-04-08 07:45:24 +0200]:
>
> clisp works on MS-Windows.  The Pg package works on clisp, which
> allows to connect to a PostGreSQL database.  You can even run
> PostGreSQL on MS-Windows.

CLISP comes with its own PostGreSQL module too.
(works with PostGreSQL 8.0 both on Linux and Windows)

> http://clisp.cons.org
> http://www.cliki.net/Pg
> http://www.postgresql.org
> http://ciapek.uci.agh.edu.pl/~kwlodarc/VisualCLisp/en.htm

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
<http://www.openvotingconsortium.org/> <http://www.memri.org/>
Vegetarians eat Vegetables, Humanitarians are scary.
From: Christopher C. Stacy
"Robert Bralic" <···········@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Dear,
>
> Does anybody have a Golden Common LISP,
> I tryed to step into a contact with:
> http://www.goldhill-inc.com, several times, but
> they don't respond.I ned him becouse he s only
> who have a SQL connection under Windows,
> I tryed with LISPWORKS,and Allegro, but
> that doesen't work.

I have used Lispworks to talk to SQL databases (over ODBC)
using a couple of different libraries over the past 6 years
in critical production environments (including e-commerce
and billing/accounting/fraud applications).

I am under the impression that people do this sort of thing
all the time in both Lispworks and Allegro, at least.
From: Dmitriy Ivanov
Hello Robert,
"Robert Bralic" <···········@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

RB> Dear,
RB>
RB> Does anybody have a Golden Common LISP,
RB> I tryed to step into a contact with:
RB> http://www.goldhill-inc.com, several times, but
RB> they don't respond.I ned him becouse he s only
RB> who have a SQL connection under Windows,
RB> I tryed with LISPWORKS,and Allegro, but
RB> that doesen't work.
RB>
RB>                                              Thanks in advance !
RB>                                              Robert Bralic
RB>                                              Danilska 7
RB>                                              22000 Sibenik
RB>                                              Croatia
RB>                                             ···········@yahoo.co.uk

If you meant an ODBC connection, you could try YSQL
(http://lisp.ystok.ru/ysql.html). It works for sure on LispWorks for
Windows.
--
Sincerely,
Dmitriy Ivanov
From: Stefan Scholl
On 2005-04-08 07:27:11, Robert Bralic wrote:

> Does anybody have a Golden Common LISP

Nope, still nobody. Perhaps when you ask weekly.
From: Robert Bralic
"Stefan Scholl" <······@no-spoon.de> wrote in message
·····················@parsec.no-spoon.de...
> On 2005-04-08 07:27:11, Robert Bralic wrote:
>
> > Does anybody have a Golden Common LISP
>
> Nope, still nobody. Perhaps when you ask weekly.

But I can't undersod why nobody uses Golden common LISP,
There is an order Form (For student edition) in most popular
LISP book:(P.H.Winston, K.B.Horn:LISP).
Golden common LISP(As is writen in he's web site
have all, IDE(under Windows) Graphics possibilities, and
SQL connection, and is small and Fast.
I hearded that this  fastes LISP implementation.
I mailed thre times they but they don't respond.
Money is not a problem.

                            Thanks, Robert !
                            ···········@yahoo.co.uk
From: ···············@yahoo.com
I don't believe Golden CL is the fastest.  I have *no* real knowledge
to back up this claim.  But here's one argument: if you've written
three times to them and gotten no response, development of Golden CL
must be pretty inactive, and [guessing] has probably been inactive for
months or years.  The other implementations, both commercial and
non-commercial, have been steadily improving themselves during those
years.

All of Allegro CL, CLisp, CMUCL / SBCL, Gnu CL, and Lispworks can claim
to be competitively fast in one or more areas.  Probably other Lisps
can too.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"Robert Bralic" <···········@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> "Stefan Scholl" <······@no-spoon.de> wrote in message
> ·····················@parsec.no-spoon.de...
> > On 2005-04-08 07:27:11, Robert Bralic wrote:
> >
> > > Does anybody have a Golden Common LISP
> >
> > Nope, still nobody. Perhaps when you ask weekly.
>
> But I can't undersod why nobody uses Golden common LISP,
> There is an order Form (For student edition) in most popular
> LISP book:(P.H.Winston, K.B.Horn:LISP).
> Golden common LISP(As is writen in he's web site
> have all, IDE(under Windows) Graphics possibilities, and
> SQL connection, and is small and Fast.
> I hearded that this  fastes LISP implementation.
> I mailed thre times they but they don't respond.
> Money is not a problem.

Yes, that's the problem!

Proprietary software sometimes become unavailable because money is not
a problem.  Perhaps the company has been bought by a competitor
specifically to kill Golden Common Lisp to avoid competition.  Perhaps
it has been bought just to get the brains and make them work on
something else and are not interested by the little money Golden
Common Lisp could earn them.  Perhaps the author of Golden Common Lisp
left the company or is dead and nobody else can maintain the product,
but they dare not free it.

Perhaps the accountants realized that they had to pay more salaries to
maintain Golden Common Lisp and advertize it and package it than it
really cost them to do it (but this is a money problem).

There may be a lot of reasons why a commercial entity will can a
product.  Actually, about the only thing you can trust a commercial
entity, is to can a product you depend on, at least that's my
experience, unless you're in the Fortune 100.

That's why you should never trust commercial software, only freedom
software of which you have the source!  There are a lot of free Common
Lisp implementation, that you can freely use and compile (or port) on
any OS you want to use.

This is a signature virus.  Add me to your signature and help me to live
From: Carl Shapiro
Pascal Bourguignon <····@mouse-potato.com> writes:

> There may be a lot of reasons why a commercial entity will can a
> product.  Actually, about the only thing you can trust a commercial
> entity, is to can a product you depend on, at least that's my
> experience, unless you're in the Fortune 100.

This is what source escrow agreements solve.  This is common practice,
and has been for some decades.  (And are not limited to the Fortune
whatever concerns.)
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Carl Shapiro <·············@panix.com> writes:

> Pascal Bourguignon <····@mouse-potato.com> writes:
>
> > There may be a lot of reasons why a commercial entity will can a
> > product.  Actually, about the only thing you can trust a commercial
> > entity, is to can a product you depend on, at least that's my
> > experience, unless you're in the Fortune 100.
>
> This is what source escrow agreements solve.  This is common practice,
> and has been for some decades.  (And are not limited to the Fortune
> whatever concerns.)

Oh my!  Too bad the small company I worked with ten years ago did not
ask for an escrow agreement on the sources of NeXTSTEP before Apple
bought them back...  Could have avoided a port to MS-Windows while
Apple took its time to release MacOSX.

Cats meow out of angst
"Thumbs! If only we had thumbs!
We could break so much!"