From: Daniel Barlow
Subject: ANN: SBCL 0.8.21
The Steel Bank Common Lisp development team is proud to announce the
release of SBCL 0.8.21.  This release marks the beginning of a period
of stabilisation towards 0.9 and eventually 1.0, as well as the usual
crop of bug fixes (some of them quite long-standing, notably the PROG2
issue which has been with us seemingly forever)

SBCL is an Open Source compiler and runtime system for ANSI Common
Lisp. It provides an interactive environment including an integrated
native compiler, a debugger, and many extensions.

* Notable changes

** Now possible to set global optimization policy, startup package,
   readtable, etc, in startup files, as they're read with READ and
   EVAL instead of LOAD as before

** debugger changes
  - less mess in backtraces
  - removed redundant TOPLEVEL restart
  - many kinds of functions have more legible printed representation
    and are more amenable INSPECT.
  - SIGSEGV in foreign code handled more gracefully on x86 and x86-64

** Improved SB-INTROSPECT for needs of SLIME

** thread support for non-NPTL systems has been removed - locking
   is buggy and unreliable.  A threaded SBCL build will now warn at
   startup and refuse to create new threads, unless futex support
   is detected in the kernel

** Updates to the x86-64 backend

** Many bug fixes

  - PROG2 returns the primary value of its first argument, as per ANSI
  - (TYPEP X '(MEMBER ...)) no longer returns a list in compiled code
  - LOAD binds *LOAD-PATHNAME* to the merged pathname
  - more bugs revealed by Paul Dietz' test suite: check the NEWS file
    for details

* For more information and downloads

   http://www.sbcl.org/
   http://www.sbcl.org/platform-table.html

The sources will compile under almost any sufficiently-ANSI CL, or you
can wait for binaries, which are currently being uploaded for various
platforms.

From: Christopher C. Stacy
Subject: Re: ANN: SBCL 0.8.21
From: James Graves
Ingvar  <······@hexapodia.net> wrote:
>······@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) writes:
>
>> Is there a way to get Debian (apt) to upgrade to the latest version?
>
>My guess is that it will lag a couple of days, while the Debian
>packaging and building is attended to. Peter van Eynde (the Devbian
>maintainer for SBCL) should be able to provide a more accurate
>answer. Myself, I would expect it mid-next-week, I guess.

Unfortunately, Debian Testing ('sarge') is still at 0.8.16.  :-(

I guess I need to read the docs to see how to get the version from
unstable into my testing distribution.

James Graves
From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 16:16:10 +0000 (UTC), ·······@typhoon.xnet.com (James Graves) wrote:

> Unfortunately, Debian Testing ('sarge') is still at 0.8.16.  :-(
>
> I guess I need to read the docs to see how to get the version from
> unstable into my testing distribution.

  apt-get -t unstable install sbcl

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: James Graves
Edi Weitz  <········@agharta.de> wrote:
>On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 16:16:10 +0000 (UTC), ·······@typhoon.xnet.com (James Graves) wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, Debian Testing ('sarge') is still at 0.8.16.  :-(
>>
>> I guess I need to read the docs to see how to get the version from
>> unstable into my testing distribution.
>
>  apt-get -t unstable install sbcl

I tried this, but it didn't work with how I had things set up.

I just had the testing release listed in sources.list.  So I need to add
unstable to sources.list, and set up the the priorities in
/etc/apt/preferences so that everything except SBCL comes from testing,
and SBCL comes from unstable.

So I still need to read through the docs.  But thanks for the prod in
the right direction.  It doesn't look as complicated as I thought.

James Graves
From: Kevin M. Rosenberg
On 2005-04-01, James Graves <·······@typhoon.xnet.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, Debian Testing ('sarge') is still at 0.8.16.  :-(

This situation should be fixed soon. SBCL was being kept out of
testing due to a bug in the mips and mipsel versions. I just received
notice that the Debian ftpmaster closed my bug request to remove mips
and mipsel architectures from the archive. I've already removed mips
and mipsel from the SBCL architecture list.

At this point, I expect current versions of SBCL to migrate to testing
from unstable in a reasonable time.

> I guess I need to read the docs to see how to get the version from
> unstable into my testing distribution.

I'd recommend downloading the current version from unstable. It's
avaiable at

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/sbcl/sbcl_0.8.19.39-2_i386.deb

--
Kevin Rosenberg
·····@rosenberg.net