From: Philipp Lenssen
Subject: Lisp Interpreter?
I read the FAQ for this group and downloaded a trial version of Franz
Allegro CL, or something like that -- I registered and prompted a trail
licence file, which I put in the folder of this program (because it
wouldn't start), clicked the create-licence executable... and it still
doesn't work.

Is there a simple way for me to play around with Lisp? I don't need a
fancy compiler, just something to get me started to see how Lisp works.

PS: I've been reading Paul Graham's stuff, and this is what brought me
here.

--
Google Blogoscoped
http://blog.outer-court.com

From: Jeff M.
Subject: Re: Lisp Interpreter?
Give LispWorks a try. It is what I use and it is wonderful. Franz is
great, too, but the license is a bit of a headache.

http://www.lispworks.com

If you are on Win32 there is also Corman Lisp:
http://www.cormanlisp.com

Jeff
From: Kenny Tilton
Jeff M. wrote:

> Give LispWorks a try. It is what I use and it is wonderful. Franz is
> great, too, but the license is a bit of a headache.

If we are talking about win32, I think the only problem is with some
extension (.txt?) being added automatically by the browser when one
saves the license. That is win32's fault, since methinks that a standard
dialog. So I can end up with:

    something.lic.txt

Just change that to something.lic in win explorer. From the Save dialog,
not sure, but I think if you set the type to "all files" it will not
stick ".TXT" on the end.

Also, ····@franz.com takes queries like this for the trial version last
I knew.

kenny

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Philipp Lenssen
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Jeff M. wrote:
>
> > Give LispWorks a try. It is what I use and it is wonderful. Franz is
> > great, too, but the license is a bit of a headache.
>
> If we are talking about win32, I think the only problem is with some
> extension (.txt?) being added automatically by the browser when one
> saves the license. That is win32's fault, since methinks that a
> standard dialog. So I can end up with:
>
> something.lic.txt
>
> Just change that to something.lic in win explorer. From the Save
> dialog, not sure, but I think if you set the type to "all files" it
> will not stick ".TXT" on the end.

That wasn't my bug, maybe it was true for other strange bugs -- I have
all extensions on show via the Windows options, so I always see them.

--
Google Blogoscoped
http://blog.outer-court.com
From: Philipp Lenssen
Jeff M. wrote:

> http://www.cormanlisp.com

OK, I will give this a try, thanks a lot to you and all the others!

Good to find a community which is so helpful to newcomers.

--
Google Blogoscoped
http://blog.outer-court.com
From: Thomas A. Russ
"Philipp Lenssen" <····@outer-court.com> writes:

> Is there a simple way for me to play around with Lisp? I don't need a
> fancy compiler, just something to get me started to see how Lisp works.

Perhaps if you tell us what computing environment you are using,
it would be easier for us to give you some advice.

Here's one example of a system I use:  http://openmcl.clozure.com/

From: Philipp Lenssen
Thomas A. Russ wrote:

> "Philipp Lenssen" <····@outer-court.com> writes:
> >
> > Is there a simple way for me to play around with Lisp? I don't need
> > a fancy compiler, just something to get me started to see how Lisp
> > works.
>
> Perhaps if you tell us what computing environment you are using,
> it would be easier for us to give you some advice.

Sorry -- it's Windows XP. Later on, of course, if I can I'd love to do
something on my Apache server, but for now -- Windows XP.

--
Google Blogoscoped
http://blog.outer-court.com
From: Kenny Tilton
ps.

Philipp Lenssen wrote:

(The subject "Lisp Interpreter")...

A Lisp Swat team is headed your way. :) Lispniks are a little sensitive
on the point that Common Lisp is a compiled language, tho some
implementations offer separate interpreters.

kenny

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Philipp Lenssen
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> ps.
>
> Philipp Lenssen wrote:
>
> (The subject "Lisp Interpreter")...
>
> A Lisp Swat team is headed your way. :) Lispniks are a little
> sensitive on the point that Common Lisp is a compiled language, tho
> some implementations offer separate interpreters.

OK, for myself, I don't care if it's interpreted or compiled, as long
as I can play around with it :)

--
Google Blogoscoped
http://blog.outer-court.com
From: Steven M. Haflich
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> A Lisp Swat team is headed your way. :) Lispniks are a little sensitive
> on the point that Common Lisp is a compiled language, tho some
> implementations offer separate interpreters.

Actually, the language definition is neutral on the subject of
compilation, where compilation means transforming the source
code to machine instructions, byte code, or whatever else will
execute faster.  But provided there is a "compiler" that does
"minimal compilation" -- mostly, the expansions of macros --
an implementation would be perfectly conforming doing everything
"interpretively" by descent through the source sexpr.
From: John Thingstad
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 03:28:07 GMT, Steven M. Haflich
<·················@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Kenny Tilton wrote:
>
>> A Lisp Swat team is headed your way. :) Lispniks are a little sensitive
>> on the point that Common Lisp is a compiled language, tho some
>> implementations offer separate interpreters.
>
> Actually, the language definition is neutral on the subject of
> compilation, where compilation means transforming the source
> code to machine instructions, byte code, or whatever else will
> execute faster.  But provided there is a "compiler" that does
> "minimal compilation" -- mostly, the expansions of macros --
> an implementation would be perfectly conforming doing everything
> "interpretively" by descent through the source sexpr.

Yes, in the sence that Java is an interpeted language so is Common lisp...
In CLISP.

From: Mario S. Mommer
"Philipp Lenssen" <····@outer-court.com> writes:
> I read the FAQ for this group

Uh - oh. Where? If it is the one I think, then it is like ~ 8 years
old.

> Is there a simple way for me to play around with Lisp? I don't need a
> fancy compiler, just something to get me started to see how Lisp works.

There are a few things. There is lisp in a box, to be found at
common-lisp.net. There is the Lisp Resource Kit, to be found there
too, which is a selfbooting CD.

Then there are quite a few implementations around, comercial and
free. You might want to explore cliki, at www.cliki.net.

> PS: I've been reading Paul Graham's stuff, and this is what brought me
> here.

:-)

Welcome!
From: Philipp Lenssen
Mario S. Mommer wrote:

> "Philipp Lenssen" <····@outer-court.com> writes:
> > I read the FAQ for this group
>
> Uh - oh. Where? If it is the one I think, then it is like ~ 8 years
> old.

I searched Google for "Lisp", and this FAQ is what appeared in the top
10:
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/faqs/lang/lisp/top.html

> > Is there a simple way for me to play around with Lisp? I don't need
> > a fancy compiler, just something to get me started to see how Lisp
> > works.
>
> There are a few things. There is lisp in a box, to be found at
> common-lisp.net. There is the Lisp Resource Kit, to be found there
> too, which is a selfbooting CD.
>
> Then there are quite a few implementations around, comercial and
> free. You might want to explore cliki, at www.cliki.net.

Too many options... must keep brain from overflowing... must
concentrate on one solution now... ;) Thanks

--
Google Blogoscoped
http://blog.outer-court.com
From: Mario S. Mommer
"Philipp Lenssen" <····@outer-court.com> writes:
> I read the FAQ for this group

Uh - oh. Where? If it is the one I think, then it is like ~ 8 years
old.

> Is there a simple way for me to play around with Lisp? I don't need a
> fancy compiler, just something to get me started to see how Lisp works.

There are a few things. There is lisp in a box, to be found at
common-lisp.net. There is the Lisp Resource Kit, to be found there
too, which is a selfbooting CD.

Then there are quite a few implementations around, comercial and
free. You might want to explore cliki, at www.cliki.net.

> PS: I've been reading Paul Graham's stuff, and this is what brought me
> here.

:-)

Welcome!