From: Mike
Subject: not really lisp, but is there a lispish way?
I've been playing with wikis and really like the concept,
but I want something sort of more 'amorphic' than the
structured way of a wiki. I am looking for something that
I can keep my address book, ideas, notes, links to things,
tips, commands, etc., but all jumbled together and yet
all related, too. Like a network model instead of a relational
model.

Does this make any sense?

Mike

From: Chris Capel
Subject: Re: not really lisp, but is there a lispish way?
Mike wrote:

> I've been playing with wikis and really like the concept,
> but I want something sort of more 'amorphic' than the
> structured way of a wiki. I am looking for something that
> I can keep my address book, ideas, notes, links to things,
> tips, commands, etc., but all jumbled together and yet
> all related, too. Like a network model instead of a relational
> model.
>
> Does this make any sense?

I'm afraid I don't see how you could get any more flexible than a Wiki. What
are the restrictions of Wiki that keep you from making any network you can
imagine? I don't see Wiki as being built on a relational model at all.

Not exactly what you're looking for, perhaps, but you might take a look at
Keynote[1] and Supermemo, two unrelated programs that can fill an
organizational role in one's personal/intellectual life. They're windows
programs, but they might be useful for nothing else than giving you ideas.

Chris Capel

[1] http://www.tranglos.com/free/keynote.html
From: Mike
In article <···············@corp.supernews.com>, Chris Capel wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>
>> I've been playing with wikis and really like the concept,
>> but I want something sort of more 'amorphic' than the
>> structured way of a wiki. I am looking for something that
>> I can keep my address book, ideas, notes, links to things,
>> tips, commands, etc., but all jumbled together and yet
>> all related, too. Like a network model instead of a relational
>> model.
>>
>> Does this make any sense?
>
> I'm afraid I don't see how you could get any more flexible than a Wiki. What
> are the restrictions of Wiki that keep you from making any network you can
> imagine? I don't see Wiki as being built on a relational model at all.
>
> Not exactly what you're looking for, perhaps, but you might take a look at
> Keynote[1] and Supermemo, two unrelated programs that can fill an
> organizational role in one's personal/intellectual life. They're windows
> programs, but they might be useful for nothing else than giving you ideas.
>
> Chris Capel
>
> [1] http://www.tranglos.com/free/keynote.html

I don't know specifically how the wiki idea can be improved either.
I feel like I want something similiar maybe to mutt that can quickly
search and pull documents, something that is tty where I don't have
to use a browser. I think emacs could do it with its internal wiki,
but I really much prefer the vi way of doing things to the emacs way.
Vim has an internal way to setup modules and such... maybe I could
use it? I do like the idea of writing an interface directly in lisp,
but don't want to re-invent if not necessary.

Mike
From: Johan Bockgård

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryPersonalInformationManager
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PlannerMode
From: Rahul Jain
Mike <·····@mikee.ath.cx> writes:

> I've been playing with wikis and really like the concept,
> but I want something sort of more 'amorphic' than the
> structured way of a wiki. I am looking for something that
> I can keep my address book, ideas, notes, links to things,
> tips, commands, etc., but all jumbled together and yet
> all related, too. Like a network model instead of a relational
> model.

You mean an object model, I think.

> Does this make any sense?

Yes, indeed it does. You want an object database. Define classes for it
like PERSON with slots for a list of PHYSICAL-ADDRESSes,
EMAIL-ADDRESSes, PHONE-NUMBERs, etc. You can then include that PERSON
object in a NOTE, etc.

--
Rahul Jain
·····@nyct.net