From: Bill Clementson
Subject: Denver Area Lisp User Group meeting for September
After a summer hiatus, we're ready to start up with another round of
Denver Area Lisp User Group meetings. Here's the September meeting
announcement:

Topic: Knowledge-based Simulation Environment
Presenter: Doug Williams
Date: Monday, September 27th
Time: 7pm - 8:45pm
Venue: Boulder Public Library - George Reynolds Branch (Note: this is
a different Boulder Public Library location from the one where we had
the Kenny Tilton meeting). 3595 Table Mesa Drive, Boulder (information
and map at: http://www.boulder.lib.co.us/branch/grb.html)

    I am attempting to recreate - and extend - in PLT Scheme the
knowledge-based simulation environment I used to have in Symbolics
Common Lisp. It will consist of three PLT Scheme collections: Science
Collection, Simulation Collection, and Inferencing Collection. The PLT
Scheme Science Collection is a port of portions of the GNU Scientific
Library (GSL) that provides a foundation for inplementing the other
collections as well as providing data analysis functions. The PLT
Scheme Science Collection is largely implemented. The PLT Scheme
Simulation Collection provides a discrete-event simulation engine
based on a process interaction model. The PLT Scheme Simulation
Collection has been prototyped. The PLT Scheme Inferencing Collection
provides a rule-based inferencing engine.

    In this talk, I will present the PLT Scheme Science Collection as
well as discussion how to use - and extend - PLoT Scheme for data
analysis.

        * PLT Scheme Science Collection
              o Mathematical Functions
              o Special Functions
              o Random Number Generation
              o Random Distributions
              o Statistics
              o Histograms
              o Chebyshev Approximations
        * Using PLoT Scheme
              o PLoT Scheme Overvire
              o Extending PLoT Scheme
              o Histogram Plot
              o Step Plot
        * Future Plans
              o PLT Scheme Simulation Collection
              o PLT Scheme Inferencing Collection
        * Demo and Q&A

Mark your calendars - see you there!

--
Bill Clementson

From: Paolo Amoroso
···············@yahoo.com (Bill Clementson) writes:

> After a summer hiatus, we're ready to start up with another round of
> Denver Area Lisp User Group meetings. Here's the September meeting
> announcement:
>
> Topic: Knowledge-based Simulation Environment
> Presenter: Doug Williams
[...]
>     I am attempting to recreate - and extend - in PLT Scheme the
> knowledge-based simulation environment I used to have in Symbolics
> Common Lisp. It will consist of three PLT Scheme collections: Science

How was that environment called?

Paolo
Recommended Common Lisp libraries/tools (Google for info on each):
- ASDF/ASDF-INSTALL: system building/installation
- CL-PPCRE: regular expressions
- UFFI: Foreign Function Interface
From: Bill Clementson
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> wrote in message news:<··············@plato.moon.paoloamoroso.it>...
> ···············@yahoo.com (Bill Clementson) writes:
>
> > After a summer hiatus, we're ready to start up with another round of
> > Denver Area Lisp User Group meetings. Here's the September meeting
> > announcement:
> >
> > Topic: Knowledge-based Simulation Environment
> > Presenter: Doug Williams
>  [...]
> >     I am attempting to recreate - and extend - in PLT Scheme the
> > knowledge-based simulation environment I used to have in Symbolics
> > Common Lisp. It will consist of three PLT Scheme collections: Science
>
> How was that environment called?

It was one that Doug created himself and was called the Modeler's
Workbench.  It was used to develop knowledge-based simulations for use
during concept definition for large government projects.  A simplified
version (no graphics, etc) is discussed in an article in Simulation
magazine (Design of a Knowledge-Based Simulation Environment,
Simulation, Vol. 67, No. 2, August 1996).

--
Bill Clementson
From: Reini Urban
Bill Clementson schrieb:
>>(Bill Clementson) writes:
>>>After a summer hiatus, we're ready to start up with another round of
>>>Denver Area Lisp User Group meetings. Here's the September meeting
>>>announcement:
>>>
>>>Topic: Knowledge-based Simulation Environment
>>>Presenter: Doug Williams
>>
>>> I am attempting to recreate - and extend - in PLT Scheme the
>>> knowledge-based simulation environment I used to have in Symbolics
>>> Common Lisp. It will consist of three PLT Scheme collections: Science
>>> Collection, Simulation Collection, and Inferencing Collection. The PLT
>>> Scheme Science Collection is a port of portions of the GNU Scientific
>>> Library (GSL) that provides a foundation for inplementing the other
>>> collections as well as providing data analysis functions. The PLT
>>> Scheme Science Collection is largely implemented. The PLT Scheme
>>> Simulation Collection provides a discrete-event simulation engine
>>> based on a process interaction model. The PLT Scheme Simulation
>>> Collection has been prototyped. The PLT Scheme Inferencing Collection
>>> provides a rule-based inferencing engine.
> It was one that Doug created himself and was called the Modeler's
> Workbench.  It was used to develop knowledge-based simulations for use
> during concept definition for large government projects.  A simplified
> version (no graphics, etc) is discussed in an article in Simulation
> magazine (Design of a Knowledge-Based Simulation Environment,
> Simulation, Vol. 67, No. 2, August 1996).

I'd need a hook to Doug. This guy is crazy doing that in PLT now. But
maybe crazyness helps.

I also do a large government simulation project, and do the reasoning
and representation with lisa mapped to OWL (sorry, have to use XML buzz
buzz Semantic Web buzz buzz, but there's http://owl.mindswap.org),
the politically correct workbench with phpwiki (maybe we can switch to
cliki, but phpwiki has much more so far and I'm familiar with it),
and the graphics with ploticus.

See for example
http://aretha.jax.org/pub-cgi/phenome/mpdcgi?rtn=datamodel/datamodel
and any link there with a fancy graph with colored bars
and map mice to tax income or countries.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/
From: Bill Clementson
I have posted a video and PDF of the presentation. You can get the
download links off my weblog at:
http://home.comcast.net/~bc19191/blog/041011.html

--
Bill Clementson