From: Andras Simon
Subject: Gray streams and READ
The Gray streams proposal (and the implementations I've seen) is
silent on READ. Is this because READ is supposed to be implemented on
top of READ-CHAR &al?

This is not just a theoretical question. I'm trying to make ABCL's
support for slime a little more robust, and the interaction of READ
with user defined streams is one of the major stumbling blocks.

Andras

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Gray streams and READ
In article <···············@csusza.math.bme.hu>,
 Andras Simon <······@math.bme.hu> wrote:

> The Gray streams proposal (and the implementations I've seen) is
> silent on READ. Is this because READ is supposed to be implemented on
> top of READ-CHAR &al?

Yes.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Andras Simon
Barry Margolin <······@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> In article <···············@csusza.math.bme.hu>,
>  Andras Simon <······@math.bme.hu> wrote:
>
> > The Gray streams proposal (and the implementations I've seen) is
> > silent on READ. Is this because READ is supposed to be implemented on
> > top of READ-CHAR &al?
>
> Yes.

So it depends on an implementation detail. Strange.
But thanks, anyway!

Andras
From: Barry Margolin
In article <···············@csusza.math.bme.hu>,
 Andras Simon <······@math.bme.hu> wrote:

> Barry Margolin <······@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > In article <···············@csusza.math.bme.hu>,
> >  Andras Simon <······@math.bme.hu> wrote:
> >
> > > The Gray streams proposal (and the implementations I've seen) is
> > > silent on READ. Is this because READ is supposed to be implemented on
> > > top of READ-CHAR &al?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> So it depends on an implementation detail. Strange.

Gray Streams are not part of the standard at all, so everything about
them depends on implementation details.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Andras Simon
Barry Margolin <······@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> In article <···············@csusza.math.bme.hu>,
>  Andras Simon <······@math.bme.hu> wrote:
>
> > Barry Margolin <······@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> > > Yes.
> >
> > So it depends on an implementation detail. Strange.
>
> Gray Streams are not part of the standard at all, so everything about
> them depends on implementation details.

Just because something is not part of the standard, it doesn't mean it
has to depend on implementation details. And if it does, it's nice if
those details are made explicit. Nevertheless, I shouldn't have called
this 'strange'. After all, the proposal says: "The hard part would be
re-writing existing I/O functionality in terms of methods on these new
generic functions." So true :-(

Andras