From: Pascal Costanza
Subject: Martin Fowler mentions Lisp...
see http://martinfowler.com/bliki/Closures.html

--
Tyler: "How's that working out for you?"
Jack: "Great."
Tyler: "Keep it up, then."

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: Martin Fowler mentions Lisp...
On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 09:33:04 +0200, Pascal Costanza <········@web.de> wrote:

> see http://martinfowler.com/bliki/Closures.html

Who is Martin Fowler? A celebrity? I only know Tom, Bruce, and Walt
Fowler - they used to play in various Frank Zappa bands...

Cheers,
Edi.

--

"Lisp doesn't look any deader than usual to me."
(David Thornley, reply to a question older than most languages)

From: Pascal Costanza
Edi Weitz wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 09:33:04 +0200, Pascal Costanza <········@web.de> wrote:
>
>>see http://martinfowler.com/bliki/Closures.html
>
> Who is Martin Fowler? A celebrity? I only know Tom, Bruce, and Walt
> Fowler - they used to play in various Frank Zappa bands...

He has written several books, among others "Analysis Patterns",
"Refactoring", "UML Distilled", and a few about Agile Software
Methodologies and Extreme Programming. He's very respected in the OOP
community, and if he mentions Lisp positively this may have an effect on
some people.

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza               University of Bonn
···············@web.de        Institute of Computer Science III
From: John Thingstad
http://martinfowler.com/aboutMe.html ;)

From: Mr. Poster
Pascal Costanza wrote:
> see http://martinfowler.com/bliki/Closures.html

Some consider Fowler akin to Booch, i.e., essentially a shill without
any remarkable creative or original ideas, but superb at self-promotion.

OTOH, no children, animals or innocent civilians are being harmed by
that type...
From: Kenny Tilton
Mr. Poster wrote:
> Pascal Costanza wrote:
>
>> see http://martinfowler.com/bliki/Closures.html
>>
> Some consider Fowler akin to Booch, i.e., essentially a shill without
> any remarkable creative or original ideas, but superb at self-promotion.

Jeez, that would mean Lisp is getting to be mainstream!

kenny

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Gareth McCaughan
"Mr. Poster" <········@nowhere.net> writes:

> Some consider Fowler akin to Booch, i.e., essentially a shill without
> any remarkable creative or original ideas, but superb at
> self-promotion.

I have read some of Fowler's work and some of Booch's.
I see at least two differences relevant to the accusation
you describe:

  - Fowler makes no particular claim to originality;
    in the book of his that I know best ("Refactoring")
    he goes out of his way to disclaim it.

  - Fowler is a better writer, and generally (for me)
    clarifies what he writes about rather than obscuring
    it. I'm not sure that the same is true of Booch.

I'd add that I've found fewer things in Fowler's books
that look to me like out-and-out mistakes than I have
in Booch's.

Disclaimer: I haven't read all of Fowler; still less of
Booch; and it's been many years since I read anything
by Booch.

--
Gareth McCaughan
.sig under construc