From: Pascal Costanza
Subject: Papers by Howard Cannon
Hi,

I am looking for the following papers:

- Flavors: A non-hierarchical approach to object-oriented programming,
Symbolics Inc., 1982
- Flavors, Technical Report, MIT Artificial Intelligence Laboratory,
Cambridge (Mass.), 1980

...both written by Howard Cannon. They don't seem to be available on the
web. Does anyone happen to have a copy that they can maybe scan as a PDF
or so? That would be really great!

Background info: I am trying to trace back where the notion of
before/after/around methods came from. The papers about CLOS and LOOPS
mention Flavors as the source for that. However, before/after/around
advices were already part of Interlisp and described in Warren
Teitelman's PhD thesis. So I wonder whether Howard Cannon mentions that
as an influence or not...

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza               University of Bonn
···············@web.de        Institute of Computer Science III

From: Robert Swindells
Subject: Re: Papers by Howard Cannon
On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 11:45:53 +0200, Pascal Costanza wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for the following papers:
>
> - Flavors: A non-hierarchical approach to object-oriented programming,
> Symbolics Inc., 1982
> - Flavors, Technical Report, MIT Artificial Intelligence Laboratory,
> Cambridge (Mass.), 1980
>
> ...both written by Howard Cannon. They don't seem to be available on the
> web. Does anyone happen to have a copy that they can maybe scan as a PDF
> or so? That would be really great!

I don't have either of the papers, but...

> Background info: I am trying to trace back where the notion of
> before/after/around methods came from. The papers about CLOS and LOOPS
> mention Flavors as the source for that. However, before/after/around
> advices were already part of Interlisp and described in Warren
> Teitelman's PhD thesis. So I wonder whether Howard Cannon mentions that
> as an influence or not...

The source to one version of Flavors is included with the last free
version of FranzLisp. It contains before and after methods, but uses
wrappers to do 'around'.

Another part of the picture would be to look at New Flavors. Symbolics
made the source and documentation for this available for a nominal fee.

I have a floppy disk that should contain everything we got from
Symbolics, but I would need to move a drive to a working machine to
try reading it.

Robert Swindells
From: Pascal Costanza
Robert Swindells wrote:

> The source to one version of Flavors is included with the last free
> version of FranzLisp. It contains before and after methods, but uses
> wrappers to do 'around'.
>
> Another part of the picture would be to look at New Flavors. Symbolics
> made the source and documentation for this available for a nominal fee.
>
> I have a floppy disk that should contain everything we got from
> Symbolics, but I would need to move a drive to a working machine to
> try reading it.

I doubt that the source code as references to the PILOT system by
Teitelman (that's the name of his PhD thesis), but it may be worth a
try. Thanks.

Pascal