From: Krzysztof Wlodarczyk
Subject: VisualCLisp - free IDE for MSWindows
Hi,

I've written an IDE environment for Windows based on free CLisp
compiler.
It's free, it's got help (based on Common Lisp: The Language by Guy L.
Steele Jr.), tooltip help, console available and syntax coloring.

More on:
http://ciapek.uci.agh.edu.pl/~kwlodarc/VisualCLisp/en.htm

regards.
From: Matthew Danish
Subject: Re: VisualCLisp - free IDE for MSWindows
On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 06:07:05AM -0700, Krzysztof Wlodarczyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've written an IDE environment for Windows based on free CLisp
> compiler.
> It's free, it's got help (based on Common Lisp: The Language by Guy L.
> Steele Jr.), tooltip help, console available and syntax coloring.
>
> More on:
> http://ciapek.uci.agh.edu.pl/~kwlodarc/VisualCLisp/en.htm

You have a start, and it's nice that the package is fairly small, but
there's a lot of functionality that a typical Lisp programmer expects
and is missing from your editor.  I would say that a decent IDE should
at the very least have the following features:

* Extensibility
* Understanding of S-expressions, including commands to move, create,
  delete, and generally fiddle with them.
* Decent key bindings for S-expression commands
* Automatic indentation
* Syntax coloring for those who like it
* Inline or easily accessible documentation
* Integration with the target Lisp environment

Your program seems to be lacking the first four that I named.  This also
shows in your screenshots, which demonstrate a rather terrible style of
Lisp code layout.

Here are some links for you to read, so you have a better idea of what
might be expected:

Lisp and elements of style.
  http://www.fast-index.com/declarative/lectures/
This covers basic stylistic concerns as well as teaching Lisp.

Common Lisp Educational Resources
  http://www.lisp.org/alu/res-lisp-education

Common Lisp Hyper Spec
  http://www.lispworks.com/reference/HyperSpec/Front/index.htm
This is the closest thing to a definitive reference freely available
for Common Lisp.  It is a translation of the ANSI standard into a
hypertext format.  Common Lisp the Language (Steele) is not the
authoritative reference, though some people find it has better
explanations.

CLiki
  http://www.cliki.net/
A source for free Common Lisp software and information, wiki-style.

Lisp in a Box for Windows  [1]
  http://www.common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/
A free Windows IDE based on Emacs, SLIME, and can be interfaced with
CLISP.  Comes with a simple install file, which sets up everything.
This is an example of an IDE you should look towards for some
inspiration, since it does many things well (Emacs, that is).

LispWorks (specifically, the Personal Edition)
  http://www.lispworks.com/
The personal edition is a free IDE for Windows which I find to be very
decent.  It is similar to Emacs in some ways.

(Portable) Hemlock
  http://www.common-lisp.net/project/phemlock/
An editor written in Common Lisp.

SLIME
  http://www.common-lisp.net/project/slime/
The ``Superior Lisp Interaction Mode for Emacs'' which integrates the
Emacs editor with a Common Lisp environment thus creating a powerful
IDE.

[1] Yes, I put this together.  It just incorporates already-written
software from different sources into one place.

--
;;;; Matthew Danish -- user: mrd domain: cmu.edu
;;;; OpenPGP public key: C24B6010 on keyring.debian.org