From: Robert Carleton
Subject: Lisp on Solaris 8 and Windows 2000
This is kind of a general question.  For various reasons, it's
difficult to be more specific.  Would anyone be willing to comment on
which of the Lisp implementations, they think would be the best for
cross platform compatibility between Solaris 8 and Windows 2000?  This
would include GUI and database code with SMP support.  My wild guess
would be ACL, but I'm no expert.

Thanks,

                        --Bruce
From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: Lisp on Solaris 8 and Windows 2000
On 25 Oct 2004 20:58:49 -1000, Robert Carleton <···@hakuhale.net> wrote:

> This is kind of a general question.  For various reasons, it's
> difficult to be more specific.  Would anyone be willing to comment
> on which of the Lisp implementations, they think would be the best
> for cross platform compatibility between Solaris 8 and Windows 2000?
> This would include GUI and database code with SMP support.  My wild
> guess would be ACL, but I'm no expert.

I /think/ the only implementation that offers a cross-platform GUI
library (CAPI) is LispWorks. CommonSQL, their RDBMS access layer, is
also supported on all platforms. As for SMP support I'm not so sure -
AFAIK, native threads are only available on Windows at the
moment. You'll have to ask.

Alternatives: For database access you can use CL-SQL[1] so you're not
bound to a specific implementation, for GUI stuff you might want to
check out LTK[2]. With these two open source libraries you're
basically free to choose whichever implementation you want if the rest
of your code doesn't contain too much implementation-specific stuff
(or if you can wrap it with a thin layer). AllegroCL, LispWorks, and
Corman Lisp all employ native threads on Windows, for Solaris I think
your only option is Scieneer Common Lisp at the moment.

Cheers,
Edi.

[1] <http://clsql.b9.com/>
[2] <http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/>