From: Bill Clementson
Subject: Apple ADC program and Lisp developers
I'm considering purchasing an iMac (or Powerbook) for my own use (I
already bought one for my daughter, but she never lets me use it ;-)
). The Apple developers program (http://developer.apple.com/) provides
for hardware discounts for developers (although I haven't been able to
find specifics about the discounts). The cost of the ADC Select
program is $500. Has anyone here signed up for the program? If so, I
would be interested in hearing your thoughts about whether the
hardware discounts provided by the program were worth the cost of the
program. Also, as a Lisp developer, did you get other benefits from
the program?

Feel free to reply by email if you prefer. TIA.

--
Bill Clementson

From: Paul Khuong
Subject: [OT]: Apple ADC program and Lisp developers
···············@yahoo.com (Bill Clementson) wrote in message news:<····························@posting.google.com>...
> I'm considering purchasing an iMac (or Powerbook) for my own use (I
> already bought one for my daughter, but she never lets me use it ;-)
> ). The Apple developers program (http://developer.apple.com/) provides
> for hardware discounts for developers (although I haven't been able to
> find specifics about the discounts). The cost of the ADC Select
> program is $500. Has anyone here signed up for the program? If so, I
> would be interested in hearing your thoughts about whether the
> hardware discounts provided by the program were worth the cost of the
> program. Also, as a Lisp developer, did you get other benefits from
> the program?

Included in the offer is OS X (10.4) (preview for now, release version
too, _i believe_). The deal has been discussed on /., and at +4/5, you
should see a couple useful comments. I think the majority of posters
considered it useful if you were to buy a new computer.
From: Jon Boone
Subject: Re: Apple ADC program and Lisp developers
···············@yahoo.com (Bill Clementson) writes:

> I'm considering purchasing an iMac (or Powerbook) for my own use (I
> already bought one for my daughter, but she never lets me use it ;-)
> ). The Apple developers program (http://developer.apple.com/) provides
> for hardware discounts for developers (although I haven't been able to
> find specifics about the discounts). The cost of the ADC Select
> program is $500. Has anyone here signed up for the program? If so, I
> would be interested in hearing your thoughts about whether the
> hardware discounts provided by the program were worth the cost of the
> program. Also, as a Lisp developer, did you get other benefits from
> the program?

   I'm not a select member, as I'm not convinced that it's worth the
 cost, fwiw.

   However, I have been able to view the discounted pricing through
 some careful navigating through the Apple Store.  Long story short:
 you save money, but not enough to justify the full $500.00 for that
 point alone.  You'd need to get some additional value from it to make
 it work out.

--jon
From: Kenny Tilton
Jon Boone wrote:
> ···············@yahoo.com (Bill Clementson) writes:
>

>>I'm considering purchasing an iMac (or Powerbook) for my own use (I
>>already bought one for my daughter, but she never lets me use it ;-)
>>). The Apple developers program (http://developer.apple.com/) provides
>>for hardware discounts for developers (although I haven't been able to
>>find specifics about the discounts). The cost of the ADC Select
>>program is $500. Has anyone here signed up for the program? If so, I
>>would be interested in hearing your thoughts about whether the
>>hardware discounts provided by the program were worth the cost of the
>>program. Also, as a Lisp developer, did you get other benefits from
>>the program?
>

>    I'm not a select member, as I'm not convinced that it's worth the
>  cost, fwiw.
>
>    However, I have been able to view the discounted pricing through
>  some careful navigating through the Apple Store.  Long story short:
>  you save money, but not enough to justify the full $500.00 for that
>  point alone.

No way, dude. A bare dual 2ghz desktop before any extras saves exactly
$500. Pick up a display and that comes in cheaper, too. And figure one
panther or tiger or wildebeest OS release and there's another $129.

kt

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Jon Boone

> No way, dude. A bare dual 2ghz desktop before any extras saves
> exactly $500.  Pick up a display and that comes in cheaper, too.

  D'oh!  Somehow I missed this when I got my dual 2gh system.  :-(

  So, aside from saving money on my 20" CD, what am I missing as a
  Select member?  I don't really expect to purchase another system in
  the next year or two, so I'm not sure what value I could get at this
  point...

> And figure one panther or tiger or wildebeest OS release and there's
> another $129.

  This would come under the "something beyond just saving on
  hardware".  :-)  However, since I have 5 Macs, I purchase the
  "family pack" upgrade of OS versions anyway.

--jon
From: Kenneth Tilton
In article <··············@spiritus.delamancha.org>,
 Jon Boone <········@delamancha.org> wrote:

> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>
> > No way, dude. A bare dual 2ghz desktop before any extras saves
> > exactly $500.  Pick up a display and that comes in cheaper, too.
>
>   D'oh!  Somehow I missed this when I got my dual 2gh system.  :-(
>
>   So, aside from saving money on my 20" CD, what am I missing as a
>   Select member?  I don't really expect to purchase another system in
>   the next year or two, so I'm not sure what value I could get at this
>   point...

A couple of support incidents, frequent developer CDs... not much,
really.

kt
From: Kenny Tilton
Bill Clementson wrote:
> I'm considering purchasing an iMac (or Powerbook) for my own use (I
> already bought one for my daughter, but she never lets me use it ;-)
> ). The Apple developers program (http://developer.apple.com/) provides
> for hardware discounts for developers (although I haven't been able to
> find specifics about the discounts). The cost of the ADC Select
> program is $500. Has anyone here signed up for the program? If so, I
> would be interested in hearing your thoughts about whether the
> hardware discounts provided by the program were worth the cost of the
> program. Also, as a Lisp developer, did you get other benefits from
> the program?

The discount is earned back on one high-end system. Then getting the
latest OS for free is gravy, now that they charge big bucks for major
new releases.

btw, I seem to recall navigating to the developer store before signing
up just to determine the same question. btw2, they sent me a second
system discount (you only get one with a simple membership), but I have
not decided if I will exercise that (and it expires in a few weeks).

Other benefits (besides the free OS upgrade)? Hard to say, since I am
only now beginning OS X development. I guess one bad sign is that I have
not yet decided to re-up, which I must do in the same few next weeks.
Also I have to admit I lost track of what I can get anyway without being
a developer -- have you grabbed the whole Xcode development environment?

My guess is that unless you are doing hardcore development, the question
comes down to the hardware discounts and free OS releases, which do more
than pay for the membership if you are getting a decent system.

kt
From: Bill Clementson
Thanks to Kenny and others who replied either in this forum or by
email. I appreciate hearing your opinions and comments about the Apple
ADC program.

--
Bill Clementson