From: Karl-Hugo Weesberg
Subject: Hackers like to use LISP to write dangerous programs!!!
LISP is the #1 hacker language and hackers write dangerous programs with LISP.

LISP should be banned!

From: kazzarazza003
From: Tayssir John Gabbour
kazzarazza003 wrote:
> I think that some people on here should be banned as well as Lisp.
> I know you think your all smart, but learn to be nice to people who
> aren't as smart.

I'd agree with your gist.

But could you tell us anything, or me privately, of how you're learning
Lisp? Because I know you're learning at a school, and they must've
really blown things by not giving you decent reference material.

There's Paul Graham's ANSI Common Lisp, which has a nice little
reference in the back.

Also:
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/cltl/cltl2.html
http://www.lisp.org/HyperSpec/FrontMatter/index.html
As a tutorial:
http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/

MfG,
Tayssir
From: Kaz Kylheku
"kazzarazza003" <········@students.unisa.edu.au> wrote in message news:<································@localhost.talkaboutprogramming.com>...
> I think that some people on here should be banned as well as Lisp. I know
> you think your all smart, but learn to be nice to people who aren't as
> smart.

It's not that you aren't smart, but that you are giving off strong
signals of being a twit. Someone with absolutely no background in
computing could pick up on those signals by reading your puerile
reactions to perfectly valid, informative responses.

You were asking about Lisp's age, and proved to the world that you
were not emotionally prepared to deal with anything more complex than
the simple integer answer you were expecting. The responses are not
insulting to you in any way; in fact they express hope that you are
someone who can deal with a slightly more complex answer than the one
you might have been anticipating.

Apparently, your response to being excessively informed is to display
your insecurities regarding your intellect. (People must be giving me
extra information because they think I'm dumb, not because they
believe that I'm interested in information and can handle it. Well, at
least I know more about *manners*, so I'll let them know how rude they
are!)

Okay, whatever, man.
From: Thomas A. Russ
··········@lycos.com (Karl-Hugo Weesberg) writes:

> LISP is the #1 hacker language ...

Yay!  We're number 1 !

From: André Thieme
Karl-Hugo Weesberg schrieb:

> LISP is the #1 hacker language and hackers write dangerous programs with LISP.
>
> LISP should be banned!

Where did you find that rule? Who made it?
And why do you think that Lisp should be banned? Maybe you can list some
of these dangerous programs.

Andr�
--
Not easy to understand for non-germans:
http://tinyurl.com/64x7y
From: Marco Parrone
Andr� Thieme on Tue, 26 Oct 2004 04:16:15 +0200 writes:

> Karl-Hugo Weesberg schrieb:
>
>> LISP is the #1 hacker language and hackers write dangerous programs
 >> with LISP.  LISP should be banned!
>
> Where did you find that rule? Who made it?
> And why do you think that Lisp should be banned? Maybe you can list
> some of these dangerous programs.

Maybe he has seen some movie like `I, Robot' or Terminator or Matrix.

In such an hypothetical future, what runtime do you think the bots
would run on?

Would the bots be capable to program themselves if they were written
in a non-lisp language?

;)

--
Marco Parrone <·····@autistici.org> [0x45070AD6]
From: André Thieme
Marco Parrone schrieb:

> Andr� Thieme on Tue, 26 Oct 2004 04:16:15 +0200 writes:
>

>>Karl-Hugo Weesberg schrieb:
>>

>>>LISP is the #1 hacker language and hackers write dangerous programs
>
>  >> with LISP.  LISP should be banned!
>
>>Where did you find that rule? Who made it?
>>And why do you think that Lisp should be banned? Maybe you can list
>>some of these dangerous programs.
>

> Maybe he has seen some movie like `I, Robot' or Terminator or Matrix.
>
> In such an hypothetical future, what runtime do you think the bots
> would run on?
>
> Would the bots be capable to program themselves if they were written
> in a non-lisp language?
>
> ;)

Hey, that's a good point *lol*
Anyway, I don't think that AI, if it will ever exist in a strong
version, will be against us. It is no alien who came to earth to
destroy. It emerges in us and that's why I don't believe in Hollywood
stories like Terminator, Matrix or I, Robot.

Andr�
--
This one might be too hard for you if you don't understand german:
http://tinyurl.com/64x7y
From: Chris Capel
> Anyway, I don't think that AI, if it will ever exist in a strong
> version, will be against us. It is no alien who came to earth to
> destroy. It emerges in us and that's why I don't believe in Hollywood
> stories like Terminator, Matrix or I, Robot.

See singinst.org for a lot of thought on these issues.

The main worry is not that the AI would be against us, but that it would
have a main goal that were completely unrelated to humans, but that
incidentally involved the complete destruction of the human race. Some
misguided researchers might eventually get a really powerful computer and
try to invent their own AI on it using evolutionary methods that basically
leave the motivations of the AI, and its potential actions if it does
become superintelligent, completely up in the air. For all we know, such an
AI could turn out to have, as its sole desire, the drive to create as many
paperclips as possible, and if it were smart enough, it might end up
turning the whole solar system into paperclips. "Taking over the world from
humans" would be the furthest thing from its mind.

Chris Capel
From: Curt
On 2004-10-29, Chris Capel <······@iba.nktech.net> wrote:

> The main worry is not that the AI would be against us, but that it would
> have a main goal that were completely unrelated to humans, but that
> incidentally involved the complete destruction of the human race. Some

Why would it do anything?
From: Svein Ove Aas
Curt wrote:

> On 2004-10-29, Chris Capel <······@iba.nktech.net> wrote:
>
>> The main worry is not that the AI would be against us, but that it would
>> have a main goal that were completely unrelated to humans, but that
>> incidentally involved the complete destruction of the human race. Some
>
> Why would it do anything?

It might not, but those kinds of AI aren't very interesting, and won't get
funding. :P

AIs that are developed using evolutionary methods would presumably try to do
whatever their evolution has bred them to do. If their developers have even
a modicum of sense, then that goal won't be inherently dangerous to humans,
but there are a *huge* number of possible failure modes here.

The most worrying is that anything that's been bred probably won't be
possible to understand, at least not on that scale, and you never know if
some stimulus won't eventually make it go off on a wild moon-chase,
accidentally melting Earth while it's at it.
From: Philip Haddad
··········@lycos.com (Karl-Hugo Weesberg) wrote in message news:<····························@posting.google.com>...
> LISP is the #1 hacker language and hackers write dangerous programs with LISP.
>
> LISP should be banned!

I think you are confused as to what hacking and cracking are.

--
Certum quod factum.
Philip Haddad
From: Darren
··········@lycos.com (Karl-Hugo Weesberg) wrote in message news:<····························@posting.google.com>...
> LISP is the #1 hacker language and hackers write dangerous programs with LISP.
>
> LISP should be banned!

I have heard those bastards are breathing air as well!!!

Lets burn of the atmosphere, that'll teach em!