From: drewc
Subject: Vancouver Lisp Users.
If there is anybody in this group who is in or near Vancouver, BC,
Canada, I'm giving a talk tommorow at the Vancouver Software Developers
Meetup Group. Although not specifcally about lisp, i do give it a brief
mention.

Regardless, i would love to meet some local lisp users, as i've been
using lisp as our primary development environment for the last 6 months,
and plan to continue. Our organisation, the tech co-op, is in the unique
position of being able to make technological decisions based on the
merits of the technologies, rather then management or marketing
concerns. Hence, i've chosen common lisp for most of our web and
application development work. It would be great to talk to another lisp
user in the flesh, and learn about their experiences with what has
quickly become my favorite language.

So, if you are not busy, why not stop by? it's a great chance to meet
some local hackers, enjoy some food and drink, and get away from the
computer for a couple hours (or, if you fear separation anxiety, feel
free to bring your notebook).

here are the details: (or go to
http://softwaredev.meetup.com/17/events/?eventId=3363190&action=detail
to RSVP)

We open this meeting with a presentation by Drew Crampsie of The Tech
Co-op (see below for details). Following the presentation we'll
introduce ourselves, plan future meetings and find out from each other
what's happening in Vancouver.

When:
Tuesday, October 19, 2004 at 7:00 PM

Where:
Vancouver Public Library - Main Branch
350 West Georgia St.
Vancouver, BC V6B 6B1
604-331-3603
Map

More information about this event

Notes:
We'll meet in the foyer of the main library just inside the entrance off
of Robson and Homer and in front of the Blenz shop. Look for our
tabletop sign.

ABOUT THE TECH CO-OP (http://www.tech.coop/)

Most IT support companies have high overheads so that a fraction of the
billings goes to the employees. The Tech Co-op has a different formula:
the company is jointly owned by clients and the service providers. The
result is a lower cost to clients and better returns for the providers -
a true win-win situation.

Come and meet Drew Crampsie, an application developer, and Chris
Palecek, the Co-op's technical director, as they explain how the co-op
works and where they're going with it.

Then hang around, grab some food and drink, and network with others in
the Vancouver software development industry. Bring your business cards,
you'll need them!

and here is a rough agenda:

7:00 Welcome address by Guy Lancaster.
7:10 Tech Co-op presentation.
7:30 Questions
7:40 Introductions and comments on future meetings.  I'll invite people
to briefly introduce themselves and describe what they'd like out of
future meetings.
8:00 Plan future meetings.  Mostly get a feeling for when and where but
also open to suggestions for speakers, activities, and such.  Do people
want to wear name tags?
8:10 Adjourn the formal meeting with shaking hands with a neighbor and
open the floor for networking.
9:00 The library and shops close but the foyer supposedly stays open
until about 10:00.

Hope to see you there!

drewc