From: surendra singhi
Subject: Xemacs & clip -slime
Hi,
I know it is not an xemacs forum but xemacs and emacs they are so similiar I
thought that someone here might help me as emcas forum is much more active
then the xemacs one.

My question is, how to set inferior-lisp-program to clisp in xemacs?
I am using windows machine and has the latest release of xemacs.

I tried using M-x set-variable inferior-lisp-program "C:\\program
files\\clisp-2.33.1\\base\\lisp.ede -I" but it doesn't seems to work.
Especially when i start the lisp mode, slime starts up but the options
to evaluate the expression are not enabled and in the bottom bar it
shows (LISP Slime[??]).
Any when i explicitly start up slime it gives me an error
"Searching for program: No such file or directory, C:\program"
Is the problem due to space, anyway to overcome it?

I also tried removing the space and just used
"C:\\clisp-2.33.1\\base\\lisp.ede -I" as the path of my clisp but it still
didn't seem to work, is it a bug in slime or clisp or xemacs.

Any help on this will be heartily appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Surendra Singhi

From: Cesar Rabak
Subject: Re: Xemacs & clip -slime
surendra singhi escreveu:
> Hi,
> I know it is not an xemacs forum but xemacs and emacs they are so similiar I
> thought that someone here might help me as emcas forum is much more active
> then the xemacs one.
>
> My question is, how to set inferior-lisp-program to clisp in xemacs?
> I am using windows machine and has the latest release of xemacs.
>
> I tried using M-x set-variable inferior-lisp-program "C:\\program
> files\\clisp-2.33.1\\base\\lisp.ede -I" but it doesn't seems to work.

 From the way you write filenames it seems to be a Windows platform.

The name of the binary for clisp in that case is *lisp.exe* and not
'lisp.ede'.

Check to see if is not a typo. BTW, does xemacs has a *Messages* buffer
like Emacs, perhaps there you'll find additional info.

> Especially when i start the lisp mode, slime starts up but the options
> to evaluate the expression are not enabled and in the bottom bar it
> shows (LISP Slime[??]).
> Any when i explicitly start up slime it gives me an error
> "Searching for program: No such file or directory, C:\program"
> Is the problem due to space, anyway to overcome it?

For this part, you can use the 'shortname' obtained by dir /x on the C:
root. In this particular machine I'm writing this, it becomes 'PROGRA~1'.

> I also tried removing the space and just used
> "C:\\clisp-2.33.1\\base\\lisp.ede -I" as the path of my clisp but it still
> didn't seem to work, is it a bug in slime or clisp or xemacs.
>
> Any help on this will be heartily appreciated.

HTH

--
Cesar Rabak
From: Matthew Danish
"surendra singhi" <················@hotmail.com> writes:
> I also tried removing the space and just used
> "C:\\clisp-2.33.1\\base\\lisp.ede -I" as the path of my clisp but it still
> didn't seem to work, is it a bug in slime or clisp or xemacs.

There is indeed a bug in the inferior-lisp exec function that does not
permit a filename with spaces.  Your other problem is that "lisp.ede"
is not valid; try "lisp.exe".  Note that "Lisp in a Box" for Windows [1]
does all this setup for you.

[1] http://www.common-lisp.net/project/lispbox

--
;; Matthew Danish -- user: mrd domain: cmu.edu
;; OpenPGP public key: C24B6010 on keyring.debian.org
From: surendra
Hi,
Thanks moving the clisp program to a folder without spaces in the name
solved my problem.

What about solving the bug, in the inferior-lisp exec function, any
reasons for not doing that?

Thanks,
    Surendra

From: David Kastrup
"surendra singhi" <················@hotmail.com> writes:

> I know it is not an xemacs forum but xemacs and emacs they are so similiar I
> thought that someone here might help me as emcas forum is much more active
> then the xemacs one.
>
> My question is, how to set inferior-lisp-program to clisp in xemacs?
> I am using windows machine and has the latest release of xemacs.
>
> I tried using M-x set-variable inferior-lisp-program "C:\\program
> files\\clisp-2.33.1\\base\\lisp.ede -I" but it doesn't seems to
> work.

Maybe setting it to
"\"C:\\program files\\clisp-2.33.1\\base\\lisp.exe\" -I"
will do the trick?

From: Matthew Danish
David Kastrup <···@gnu.org> writes:
> Maybe setting it to
> "\"C:\\program files\\clisp-2.33.1\\base\\lisp.exe\" -I"
> will do the trick?

At least in GNU Emacs, the code which parses the inferior-lisp-program
value just splits the string at the spaces; it doesn't do any advanced
parsing of the expression.