From: Gareth McCaughan
Subject: Re: Python & C++ and Lisp questions
Edward Tate wrote:

> First of all i'd just like to say that i'm no expert in any
> programming language(which is why i'm here ;-) ), but I was just
> slightly curious about a few issues concerning Lisp, Python and C++.
> I am currently in my first year at university studying Computer
> Science with Games Development. My overall aim is to create a simple
> game, and then be able to go on to create more advanced games.
> My question is, what are the advantages/disadvantages to programming
> games in Python and C++(I am already quite proficient in C++), versus
> programming them all in Common Lisp. Optimally I'd like to be able to
> settle on a language now so that by the time I finish my degree I am
> most proficient in that.

As some other people have said: No, *don't* try to settle on one
language, especially this early in your learning. C++, Python and
Lisp are all fine languages (except C++), and it will do you a lot
of good to get really proficient in all three.

You should also get to grips with some other more exotic languages:
Prolog, Haskell, Forth, Fortran[1]. And at least one assembly language;
if you want to be doing a lot of game programming then perhaps
it had better be x86 (alas, alas).

    [1] I could equally have written: J, Erlang, Eiffel, COBOL.
        Or (not as good a list, because the languages are nearer
        the mainstream): Smalltalk, Perl, Modula-3, O'Caml.
        There's not one of these languages it isn't worth
        getting to know a bit about, not even COBOL. Broaden
        your mind!

For what it's worth: the languages in your list of 3 account
for something like 99% of the programming I do, and I would not
want to be without any of them.

--
Gareth McCaughan
.sig under construc