From: Michael Coleman 0wnRy3zgJosv6
Subject: Re: Python & C++ and Lisp questions
···········@hotmail.com (Edward Tate) writes:
> I am currently in my first year at university studying Computer
> Science with Games Development. My overall aim is to create a simple
> game, and then be able to go on to create more advanced games.
> My question is, what are the advantages/disadvantages to programming
> games in Python and C++(I am already quite proficient in C++), versus
> programming them all in Common Lisp. Optimally I'd like to be able to
> settle on a language now so that by the time I finish my degree I am
> most proficient in that.

My advice would be not to settle on any one language, especially not
while you're still in school.  Most languages have something to teach
you, and you'll be a better programmer for having smoe familiarity
with a number of languages.  (There's even a study somewhere showing a
positive correlation between a programmer's skill and number of
languages he/she's familiar with.)  For myself, learning Lisp made me
a better C/C++ programmer, and learning Python makes me a better Lisp
programmer.

Someone in this thread made a disparaging comment about Python being
an overwrought scripting language (or something like that).  Don't
believe it without checking for yourself.  It's a powerful and elegant
language--no more a toy than Lisp itself.  (Maybe see 'pygame', too.)

Regards,
Mike