From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: Getting started in Lisp: simple tasks
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 23:16:00 +0100, Daniel Barlow <···@telent.net> wrote:

> FWIW, ASDF:RUN-SHELL-COMMAND provides a mostly-portable interface to
> RUN-PROGRAM functions on most of the Lisps it runs on.
> "mostly-portable" means that the output goes to /dev/tty (or
> something; not entirely sure) on CLISP instead of to *verbose-out*
> as the docstring says it should (patches welcome), but I believe
> it's otherwise serviceable.

BTW, one of the cool things that CMUCL offers is the option to execute
the process under a PTY, see

  <http://common-lisp.net/project/cmucl/doc/cmu-user/extensions.html#toc46>.

This could, e.g., be used to implement something like Expect. Do other
Lisps offer similar functionality? I specifically asked on the
LispWorks mailing list and got no reply from which I guess it can't be
done with LW. What about SBCL, AllegroCL, CLISP, and so on?

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Daniel Barlow
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

> BTW, one of the cool things that CMUCL offers is the option to execute
> the process under a PTY, see

In SBCL, the RUN-PROGRAM fucntion is pretty much the same as the CMUCL
one.  So, for example

* (sb-ext:run-program "/usr/bin/tty" () :pty t)

#<SB-IMPL::PROCESS 8071 :EXITED>
* (read-line (process-pty *))

"/dev/ttyp2
NIL

-dan

--
"please make sure that the person is your friend before you confirm"