From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Re: Getting started in Lisp: simple tasks
··········@righto.com (Ken Shirriff) writes:

> I read Paul Grahams's essays and have decided to try using Lisp.  I'd
> like to find out how to use Lisp for tasks I typically do in, say,
> Python.  Here are some examples:
>
> a) Open all files with the suffix ".abc". Look for all lines that
> contain a particular regular expression and print the matching
> parts.
>
> b) Read an XML file and print out all the text entities.
>
> c) Fetch a given web page, extract the links, and pipe the results
> into an external command.
>
> I really don't know where to begin to solve these tasks using Lisp.
> The Common Lisp Hyper Spec and the Lisp books I looked at discuss
> "pure" Lisp programming, rather than the kinds of problems I need to
> solve. I think what I need is O'Reilly's "Lisp in a Nutshell" except
> they don't publish it.
>
> So can someone point me at the documentation, book, or libraries I
> should be using?

You might find some useful stuff in the book I'm working on for
Apress. Draft chapters are available at:

  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/>

It is intended to address some of the issues you raise with the
existing Lisp literature and aimed at folks who are coming to Lisp the
way you seem to be so I'd be interested to know what you think.

-Peter