From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Re: Getting started in Lisp: simple tasks
Ken Shirriff wrote:
> I read Paul Grahams's essays and have decided to try using Lisp.  I'd
> like to find out how to use Lisp for tasks I typically do in, say,
> Python.  Here are some examples:
>
> a) Open all files with the suffix ".abc".  Look for all lines that
> contain a particular regular expression and print the matching parts.

(directory "*.abc")  may work

There are plenty of regular expression libraries to use to do what you
want.  Cfr.  CL-AWK CL-PPCRE etc etc.

www.cl-xml.org

> c) Fetch a given web page, extract the links, and pipe the results
> into an external command.

I am sure somebody can point you to to correct information here.
However, note that, as Common Lisp is a >7 implementations language (as
opposed to the 1.8 implementation laguages out there) "piping to an
external command" may be different on different implementations.

> I really don't know where to begin to solve these tasks using Lisp.
> The Common Lisp Hyper Spec and the Lisp books I looked at discuss
> "pure" Lisp programming, rather than the kinds of problems I need to
> solve.  I think what I need is O'Reilly's "Lisp in a Nutshell" except
> they don't publish it.

Because they are evil :)

Cheers
--