From: Dirk Gerrits
Subject: [ANN] Erlisp website
Hello fellow Lispers,

I've started on a project to bring Erlang's light-weight, message
passing concurrency to Common Lisp.  Today I've finished completely
overhauling my website, and I've created a project website for Erlisp in
the process. (See: http://www.dirkgerrits.com/erlisp/) Here's a brief
summary:

Why is it that Common Lisp is better than "mainstream" languages in a
lot of ways, but not in parallelism and distributed programming? Is it
just because threads with shared memory and locking are the best we can
do for parallelism, and because socket and RPC libraries are totally
adequate for distributed programming?

I think the answer is no. Some older Lisps and a few younger, non-Lisp
languages like Erlang have intriguing approaches to concurrency that are
easier to use and less "low-level" than this industry best practice.

Erlisp is my attempt to bring some of these ideas to Common Lisp, and
perhaps develop some new approaches in the process.

Phase 1 of this project will involve bringing (most of) the features of
the Erlang programming language to Common Lisp.  Erlang is a small but
powerful functional, concurrent, and distributed programming language
originally developed at Ericsson for use in the telecom industry. It's
been really successful as a concurrent and distributed programming
language, and is pretty Lisp-like for a language with syntax, so it
seems like a good starting point.

Phase 2 is much bolder and involves doing for models of parallel and
distributed programming what the CLOS MOP did for object systems.  The
design of such a metaobject protocol is a hard and evolutionary process
with which I have absolutely no experience, so this is very much a
long-term goal.

So far, there is no code to speak of. Just Erlisp's roadmap, describing
the basic plan of attack for its realization, and a list of references
to relevant articles, books, etc.

Questions, comments, suggestions, articles, books, prior art, and
constructive criticism are always welcome.  Just reply to this article,
in private or through the newsgroup.

Kind regards,

Dirk Gerrits