From: sj
Subject: Q Documenting LISP code
is there a tool to automatically document LISP code. In my case I use
specially formated comment blocks. A python script then parses the LISP
source directory looking for these blocks and builds HTML pages. This works
but I suspect I'm reinventing the wheel.  One caveat, I'm using Nyquist (An
audio extension of XLISP) not Common Lisp.

Thanks
--
Replace underscores in email address to reply

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Q Documenting LISP code
sj <··········@_swbell.net> writes:

> is there a tool to automatically document LISP code. In my case I use
> specially formated comment blocks. A python script then parses the LISP
> source directory looking for these blocks and builds HTML pages. This works
> but I suspect I'm reinventing the wheel.  One caveat, I'm using Nyquist (An
> audio extension of XLISP) not Common Lisp.

Yes, you are.  Well, I don't know anything about xlisp, but in
Common-Lisp you can put document strings in about every definition.

    (defun name (args) "documentation" body)
    (defparameter name value "documentation")

etc

Do you need to extract the documentation from the source? Are you
going to close the source? Or are you one of these strange people who
need the documentation far away from the source? In any case, there's
user-manual.lisp in the CMU AI Repository. It will extract all these
documentations strings and format them nicely either in text, latex or
framemaker format. (It should be easy to add a function to generate
HTML or you can generate it from latex).

Voting Democrat or Republican is like choosing a cabin in the Titanic.
From: Joe Marshall
sj <··········@_swbell.net> writes:

> is there a tool to automatically document LISP code.

No, you have to document it yourself.
From: sj
Joe Marshall wrote:

> sj <··········@_swbell.net> writes:
>
>> is there a tool to automatically document LISP code.
>
> No, you have to document it yourself.

I hesitated to use the word "automatic". I didn't mean for some magic Jeni
to write the documentation but rather to extract the documentation from the
source.   As per Pascal's suggestion I looked at user-manual.lsip but for
various reasons decided not to use it. Thanks all for the suggestions.

--
Replace underscores in email address to reply
From: Vladimir Sedach
For Common Lisp there's Stig Sand�'s Albert. You may be able to use it
with XLISP with some changes. There's also Mark Kantrowitz's User
Manual in the CMU AI repository, again for Common Lisp.

Vladimir

http://albert.sourceforge.net/
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/lisp/code/tools/user_man/0.html