From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Anyone (including Paul Graham) know if Arc...
...offers special variable workalikes? Cells got a lot better after I
grokked special vars and put them to work.

kenny

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/

From: Pascal Costanza
Subject: Re: Anyone (including Paul Graham) know if Arc...
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> ...offers special variable workalikes? Cells got a lot better after I
> grokked special vars and put them to work.

Yeah, dynamic scoping is cool. ;)

I would also be interested in that. The Scheme dictum seems to be that
you can implement dynamic scoping yourself, as some kind of special case
of lexical scoping (which is true but besides the point IMHO). Since Arc
seems to be closer to Scheme than to Lisp, I wonder what the idea here is.

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza               University of Bonn
···············@web.de        Institute of Computer Science III
From: Jens Axel Søgaard
Pascal Costanza wrote:

> Kenny Tilton wrote:
>> ...offers special variable workalikes? Cells got a lot better after I
>> grokked special vars and put them to work.

> Yeah, dynamic scoping is cool. ;)
>
> I would also be interested in that. The Scheme dictum seems to be that
> you can implement dynamic scoping yourself, as some kind of special case
> of lexical scoping (which is true but besides the point IMHO).

You can, but the serious Scheme implementations usually have
"native" implementations of srfi-39 (parameters).

<http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:22bLr8QGoVcJ:srfi.schemers.org/srfi-39/srfi-39.html+parameter+srfi&hl=en>

(I couldn't get through to srfi.schemers.org right now)

--
Jens Axel Søgaard