From: Jim Newton
Subject: cmucl dumps core after installing sbcl
After installing sbcl, cmucl no longer works.  Anybody
have an idea what might be going on here?

[·····@localhost ~]$ which lisp
/opt/cmucl/bin/lisp
[·····@localhost ~]$ lisp
mmap: Invalid argument
process_directory: file mapped in wrong place! (0xffffffff != 0x09e00000)
Strange space ID: 65536; ignored.
Unknown core file entry: 385875968; skipping.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
[·····@localhost ~]$

From: Christophe Rhodes
Subject: Re: cmucl dumps core after installing sbcl
Jim Newton <·····@rdrop.com> writes:

> After installing sbcl, cmucl no longer works.

This may be true temporally, but I'm almost completely sure that there
was no causal effect here.  Was this _really_ the only thing which
changed between your last working cmucl and now?

> Anybody have an idea what might be going on here?
>
> [·····@localhost ~]$ which lisp
> /opt/cmucl/bin/lisp
> [·····@localhost ~]$ lisp
> mmap: Invalid argument
> process_directory: file mapped in wrong place! (0xffffffff != 0x09e00000)
> Strange space ID: 65536; ignored.
> Unknown core file entry: 385875968; skipping.
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> [·····@localhost ~]$

With that RedHatoid prompt, I'd be tempted to ask if you're running a
distribution such as Fedora with some "security" "features" turned on,
such as random mmap()ing of shared libraries, or non-executable stack,
or the like.  (I'm guessing that this is x86/Linux, though you haven't
said so).

Christophe
From: Tim Bradshaw
Jim Newton wrote:
> After installing sbcl, cmucl no longer works.  Anybody
> have an idea what might be going on here?

is cmucl picking up some of the sbcl bits and pieces (like the core
file?).  I've had things like this between two versins of CMUCL and it
was either that, or something changing so the empty file that gets
mapped was mapped in some bad place (I think /tmp is no good on
Solaris).

--tim
From: Jim Newton
i noticed that sbcl installed itself into /opt/bin (strange)
and there is an executable there named lisp.  not sure what
it is but i want cmucl's lisp to come from /opt/cmucl/bin.

Once i take /opt/bin out of my path, everything seems to
work ok.

Thanks for the help.
-jim

From: Christophe Rhodes
Jim Newton <·····@rdrop.com> writes:

> i noticed that sbcl installed itself into /opt/bin (strange)

It won't do this unless you asked it to...

> and there is an executable there named lisp.

Almost certainly an older (or just different) version of cmucl.

> Once i take /opt/bin out of my path, everything seems to
> work ok.

Good.

Christophe
From: ·········@random-state.net
Jim Newton <·····@rdrop.com> wrote:

> i noticed that sbcl installed itself into /opt/bin (strange)
> and there is an executable there named lisp.  not sure what
> it is but i want cmucl's lisp to come from /opt/cmucl/bin.

How exatcly did you install sbcl? Using the install.sh that comes with it,
manually, or using third party package management tools?

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus                   "Not as clumsy or random as a C++ or Java.
                             An elegant weapon for a more civilized time."