From: Jim Newton
Subject: multiple file projects
explicitly loads all the other files in the correct order?
What about templates or examples I could follow?

thanks for the advise.
-jim

From: Bulent Murtezaoglu
Subject: Re: multiple file projects

    JN> ...  Does there need to be some main
    JN> file that explicitly loads all the other files in the correct
    JN> order?  What about templates or examples I could follow?

There are various defsystems that do what I think you want (and more,
they also have 'make' functionality).  If you are using a commercial
lisp, it most likely has one (I know for sure Allegro and Lispworks
do).  There's also mk:defsystem and asdf that are both open source and
cross-platform.

I'd start with your vendor docs if you are really comitted to a single
commercial system.  If not, go with the popular open source ones:

http://www.cliki.net/mk-defsystem
http://www.cliki.net/ASDF%20System

cheers,

BM
From: Marco Antoniotti
You can use either MK:DEFSYSTEM or ASDF.  If you look at common-lisp.net
or clocc.sf.net you will see how these are used.

In alternative you could set up a file with all the load and compile
instructions of the case.  You may have a look at *LOAD-PATHANME* and
*LOAD-TRUENAME* in the spec in this case.

Cheers
--
Marco

From: Thomas A. Russ
Jim Newton <·····@rdrop.com> writes:

> does anyone have any advice about how to manage a lisp program
> which contains multiple files.  as i understand there is no standard
> explicitly loads all the other files in the correct order?
> What about templates or examples I could follow?

The generally use mechanisms are either one of the variants of DEFSYSTEM
or ASDF.  These are used to manage "systems" which consist of multiple
files.