From: Peter Ashford
Subject: Game development tools in Lisp
As a result of the recent thread regarding Lisp vs C++ for game dev, I
was wondering whether any Lisp programmers could suggest what a good
Lisp implementation would be for game development on windows, and what
one should use for fast graphics (2d and 3d - preferrably OpenGL) and 3d
sound.

As I've posted previously, I like Lisp, so I'm keen to see how it'll go
for a small test project.

TIA,

Peter.

From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Re: Game development tools in Lisp
Peter Ashford wrote:

> As a result of the recent thread regarding Lisp vs C++ for game dev, I
> was wondering whether any Lisp programmers could suggest what a good
> Lisp implementation would be for game development on windows, and what
> one should use for fast graphics (2d and 3d - preferrably OpenGL) and 3d
> sound.
>
> As I've posted previously, I like Lisp, so I'm keen to see how it'll go
> for a small test project.

I just tossed off a longish answer back on the C++ thread before seeing
this.

I happen to be interested in finding folks with small graphics projects,
as a way of extending Cello by applying it to real-world projects. I
realize you want to experience the development process yourself, but if
you want to share a rough spec and there is a fit I might take a stab at
it at the same time.

kenny

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Jeff
Peter Ashford wrote:

> As a result of the recent thread regarding Lisp vs C++ for game dev,
> I was wondering whether any Lisp programmers could suggest what a
> good Lisp implementation would be for game development on windows,
> and what one should use for fast graphics (2d and 3d - preferrably
> OpenGL) and 3d sound.

Heh, I'm currently in the process of putting something (simple) for use
with LispWorks for myself to use in my spare time. It uses CPW, OpenGL
and OpenAL -- and is working quite nice I might add ;)

I'll post an announcement when done.

Jeff M.

--
(a (href "http://www.retrobyte.org/"))
(a (href ···············@gmail.com"))
From: Kenny Tilton
Jeff wrote:

> Peter Ashford wrote:
>

>>As a result of the recent thread regarding Lisp vs C++ for game dev,
>>I was wondering whether any Lisp programmers could suggest what a
>>good Lisp implementation would be for game development on windows,
>>and what one should use for fast graphics (2d and 3d - preferrably
>>OpenGL) and 3d sound.
>

> Heh, I'm currently in the process of putting something (simple) for use
> with LispWorks for myself to use in my spare time. It uses CPW, OpenGL
> and OpenAL -- and is working quite nice I might add ;)

Ah, another Glut knock-off, but with TrueType font support. Nice, I
missed that one. win32 only, tho. Along these lines there also are
Freeglut and OpenGlut, both covering win32 and x11.

And here is a biggy I forgot to mention: cl-sdl. If Peter just wants to
have fun, the one-window limitation should be no problem.

kt

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Matthias
Peter Ashford <··@here.there.com> writes:

> As a result of the recent thread regarding Lisp vs C++ for game dev, I
> was wondering whether any Lisp programmers could suggest what a good
> Lisp implementation would be for game development on windows, and what
> one should use for fast graphics (2d and 3d - preferrably OpenGL) and
> 3d sound.

For small OpenGL experiments I like chicken scheme: Just get the
package from http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/ and say

===
$> chicken-setup opengl

The extension opengl does not exists.
Do you want to download it ? (yes/no/abort) [yes] yes
downloading catalog ...
downloading catalog from www.call-with-current-continuation.org ...
===

And you are set up.  A simple example how to use OpenGL is in
http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/eggs/opengl.html

Potential drawbacks: (1) Even when compiled, graphics-heavy programs
sometimes pause for GC.  (2) It's scheme and not common lisp (may or
may not be a drawback for you).