From: John
Subject: Text Adventure-like NLP in Lisp reference?
Is there a book that has good coverage of the NLP used in text
adventure games? (preferably in Lisp).

I see that there are chapters in a couple of Norvig's books but don't
know which is best.  My local bookstore doesn't have them and I am
loathe to pay >$50 just to find out.

Thanks

John.

From: Jeff
Subject: Re: Text Adventure-like NLP in Lisp reference?
LispWorks has a good BNF parser generator that can be used to do this.

http://www.lisp.co.kr/Lisp/lisp-doc/manual/online/web/LWUG-W/html/lwuser
-w-127.htm#pgfId-886053

Jeff M.

--
(a (href "http://www.retrobyte.org/"))
(a (href ···············@gmail.com"))
From: John
"Jeff" <·······@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<·····················@attbi_s01>...
> LispWorks has a good BNF parser generator that can be used to do this.
>
> http://www.lisp.co.kr/Lisp/lisp-doc/manual/online/web/LWUG-W/html/lwuser
> -w-127.htm#pgfId-886053
>
> Jeff M.

Thanks, I will take a look.

I was looking for more on the theory and workings though. Anyone else
have any leads?

John.
From: ······@gmail.com
don't know if this interests you, but I saw a paper recently on using
the RACER description logic reasoning engine and connecting it to power
a text adventure. RACER has a common lisp module available. This is
pretty heavy teoretical stuff.

http://www.sts.tu-harburg.de/~r.f.moeller/racer/
http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Publications/CEUR-WS/Vol-44/Gabsdil-et-al.ps.gz
--
Conrad Barski
From: Alan Crowe
John asked

> I was looking for more on the theory and workings
> though. Anyone else have any leads?

Follow

http://www.theassayer.org/cgi-bin/asbook.cgi?book=68

http://www.cs.vu.nl/~dick/PTAPG.html

A lead, not a recommendation.
I only came across it yesterday, and will not have time to
look at it this year.

Alan Crowe
From: Gareth McCaughan
·······@hotmail.com (John) writes:

> Is there a book that has good coverage of the NLP used in text
> adventure games? (preferably in Lisp).
>
> I see that there are chapters in a couple of Norvig's books but don't
> know which is best.  My local bookstore doesn't have them and I am
> loathe to pay >$50 just to find out.

"Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming"
contains a parser much more sophisticated than any
you'll find in a text adventure[1], as well as
examples of simpler parsers that are nearer to
what you're probably looking for. And it's a superb
book generally.

    [1] I think we're supposed to call them "interactive
        fiction" these days.

--
Gareth McCaughan
.sig under construc
From: Gareth McCaughan
·······@hotmail.com (John) writes:

[I wrote:]
> > "Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming"
> > contains a parser much more sophisticated than any
> > you'll find in a text adventure[1], as well as
> > examples of simpler parsers that are nearer to
> > what you're probably looking for. And it's a superb
> > book generally.
> >
> >     [1] I think we're supposed to call them "interactive
> >         fiction" these days.

[John:]
> Thankyou!  I just ordered it.  Hard to kick the habit of calling
> them text advantures when you grew up playing them ;-)

I know what you mean :-). I hope you enjoy PAIP as much
as I did.

--
Gareth McCaughan
.sig under construc