From: ··········@gmail.com
Subject: GUI programming + lisp?
hi, how do you program Graphic User Interfaces in Common Lisp? what
package do i need.. and is there a tutorial somewhere that teaches this?

From: Frank Buss
Subject: Re: GUI programming + lisp?

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=2ufs3cF2a49d4U1%40uni-berlin.de

--
Frank Bu�, ··@frank-buss.de
From: Pascal Bourguignon
··········@gmail.com writes:

> hi, how do you program Graphic User Interfaces in Common Lisp? what
> package do i need.. and is there a tutorial somewhere that teaches this?

http://www.cliki.net/admin/search?words=GUI

The world will now reboot; don't bother saving your artefacts.
From: Kenny Tilton
··········@gmail.com wrote:

> hi, how do you program Graphic User Interfaces in Common Lisp? what
> package do i need.. and is there a tutorial somewhere that teaches this?

There is no particular answer at this time. If you use MCL, Lispworks,
or AllegroCL you can use their fine but proprietary GUIs, which are thin
wrappers for the underlying win32 or OS9/OSX native GUIs. (Not sure what
LW does on CAPI.) If you use CormanCL you get bindings to the win32
framework and GUI with that.

Free, portable solutions wrap Tk or Gtk. Peter Herth has a nice LTk
package, I extended that to create Celtic (cells-ltk), and Vasilis
Margioulas morphed Celtic into cells-gtk for CLisp, which I almost have
working using UFFI.

kenny

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: ··········@gmail.com
From: Kenny Tilton
··········@gmail.com wrote:
> which one is good for using with Lisp in a Box?

Ltk or cells-gtk (RSN).

kt

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: ··········@gmail.com
i donno.. can you point to me to a detailed instruction as to how would
you go about and install the Ltk/cells-gtk?? i installed tcl/tk on
windows xp machine.. and compiled and loaded ltk.lisp, but when i run
(test), it says undefined function?? donno what's happening.

here is my config:
OS: winxp pro
EDITOR: lisp in a box

if anyone can recommend an easy to install extension, and have good
documentation, would be much apperciated :D

From: Chris Capel
··········@gmail.com wrote:

> i donno.. can you point to me to a detailed instruction as to how would
> you go about and install the Ltk/cells-gtk?? i installed tcl/tk on
> windows xp machine.. and compiled and loaded ltk.lisp, but when i run
> (test), it says undefined function?? donno what's happening.
>
> here is my config:
> OS: winxp pro
> EDITOR: lisp in a box
>
> if anyone can recommend an easy to install extension, and have good
> documentation, would be much apperciated :D

Try calling ltktest instead. Make sure you've use-package'd ltk. Also,
ltk-eyes is neat. The documentation is buggy. I e-mailed Peter about it.

Chris Capel
From: Kenny Tilton
··········@gmail.com wrote:

> i donno.. can you point to me to a detailed instruction as to how would
> you go about and install the Ltk/cells-gtk??

Oops. Yes, I almost said that the course pre-requisite would be the
graduate-level "Lisp 301 -- Installing a Frickin' Quote-unquote Free
Library". Well, I opened my big yap....

  i installed tcl/tk on
> windows xp machine.. and compiled and loaded ltk.lisp, but when i run
> (test), it says undefined function?? donno what's happening.
>
> here is my config:
> OS: winxp pro
> EDITOR: lisp in a box

Meet me half-way. Install AllegroCL Trial version for the easiest way to
get cells-gtk working. Second choice, Lisworks personal. Both truly free
(no $$, easy set-up) and truly integrated editor and Lisp environment.

With AllegroCL things will be insanely easy, since I use their project
manager and include the *.LPR project files -- ie, no ASDF.

With Lispworks, wou won't get the weird text label bug I am getting in
AllegroCL when using Cells-gtk. <g> That was a joke. On me. I have
obviously have something screwed up in ACL. Lispworks cracks me over the
head more reliably, so i guess I fixed something in the port of cgtk
from ACL to LW.

Which makes this as good a time as any to remind everyone that I am
still sorting out Cells-gtk/FFX. FFX being my fork of UFFI. Which is not
yet up in CVS but I may as well do it now so folks will have one-stop
shopping.

> if anyone can recommend an easy to install extension, and have good
> documentation, would be much apperciated :D

Here ya go: get ACL Trial installed and running:

    http://www.franz.com/downloads/

When that is working, grab TortoiseCVS, the only good CVS tool:

    http://www.tortoisecvs.org/download.shtml

You could just grab tarballs here:

  http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/root/?cvsroot=cells-gtk
  http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/cell-cultures/?cvsroot=cells

But then you have to DL and untar that again and again since I have the
hood up on that code trying to get the other panes working under
Lispworks (and figuring out how I c*cked up the text labels under ACL).

TortoiseCVS is mad painless. You may need help setting up the repository
access the first time, but just send me an email if this does not help:

    http://common-lisp.net/faq.shtml

Meanwhile I will be cleaning up everything, especially the install notes
in cell-gtk, which are as vasilis left them and no longer apply.

kenny

ps. Hmmm, Celtic seems broken. IIRC, breaking it was the last thing I
did before moving back to Cello. Brilliant. The original Ltk is probably
  the way to go, I am a spread a little thin just now.

Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Oyvin Halfdan Thuv
··········@gmail.com wrote:
> i donno.. can you point to me to a detailed instruction as to how would
> you go about and install the Ltk/cells-gtk?? i installed tcl/tk on
> windows xp machine.. and compiled and loaded ltk.lisp, but when i run
> (test), it says undefined function?? donno what's happening.

You are pretty much ready to go then, try (ltk::ltktest) and/or
(ltk::ltk-eyes), the "test" function is just a small bug in the readme.

> if anyone can recommend an easy to install extension, and have good
> documentation, would be much apperciated :D

LTK is fairly well documented if you take the Tk resources into
consideration. Also, just to get started, have a look at the LTK page.
It says what to do any why.

--
�yvin
From: ··········@gmail.com
when i try to test. it gave me this error:

Win32 error 2 (ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND): The system cannot find the file
specified.
[Condition of type SYSTEM::SIMPLE-OS-ERROR]
anyone know what's wrong?
From: Oyvin Halfdan Thuv
··········@gmail.com wrote:
> when i try to test. it gave me this error:
>
> Win32 error 2 (ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND): The system cannot find the file
> specified.
> [Condition of type SYSTEM::SIMPLE-OS-ERROR]
> anyone know what's wrong?

Hm, I'm not much of a windowser, but in FreeBSD I added the path to
"wish" in ltk.lisp (*wish-pathname*). I don't know if this applies to
windows, perhaps it is enough to just add wish to the PATH evnironment
variable.

--
�yvin