From: Jim Newton
Subject: Collecting Garbage /= Garbage Collection
Hi everyone.  Can anyone guess the difference between
"Collecting Garbage" and "Garbage Collection"?

-jim

From: Jim Newton
Subject: Re: Collecting Garbage /= Garbage Collection
Answer, and a little warning.

"Garbage Collection" is a book you can order
from amazon.(co.uk|de|com)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471941484/qid=1101495806/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-9757220-8812617
It is a book about dynamic memory management.

"Collecting Garbage" is also a book you can order
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0765804107/qid%3D1101495885/202-9757220-8812617
but it is about the Sanitation industry and how to get good people to do
dirty jobs that noone wants to do.

Both are interesting perhaps, but I thought I was ordering the
first one from amazon, and when it arrived I found I had
ordered the second one by mistake.  8-(

Be careful lest anyone else make the same mistake!!!

-jim

From: Thomas Schilling
Jim Newton wrote:

> Both are interesting perhaps, but I thought I was ordering the
> first one from amazon, and when it arrived I found I had
> ordered the second one by mistake.  8-(
>
> Be careful lest anyone else make the same mistake!!!

FWIW, in Germany you can send back anything you ordered from an
online/tele store/catalogue within 2 weeks without giving reasons. Though
this is by law, which probably doesn't apply in the UK. Nevertheless, I
think Amazon (UK) would allow you to send it back (and get the correct
book) without any costs on your side since you have a good reason.

-ts
From: Christopher C. Stacy
Jim Newton <·····@rdrop.com> writes:
> Hi everyone.  Can anyone guess the difference between
> "Collecting Garbage" and "Garbage Collection"?

Well, in Emacs, "garbage collection" can be invoked by
the command m-x garbage-collect, while "collecting garbage"
is most easily accomplished with m-x gnus.