From: David R. Sky
Subject: re: Conputing on samples in audio/wav-files
You may want to subscribe to a list that's just started,
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-nyquist

Audacity is an open source sound playback/recorder/editor. Roger
Dannenberg (developer of Nyquist) and Dominic mazzoni (who's
implemented Nyquist in Audacity) follow the group. It's small at
the moment, gradually growing. And Roger is considering starting
his own Nyquist list, apart from Audacity.

David

From: Eivind L. Rygge <······@hotmail.com>
Subject: Computing on samples in audio/wav-files

Has anybody got a package or some code for reading audiofiles
(especially wav-files) in Common Lisp?

I have been struggling a bit with Nyquist lately, and now I am
likely to give Common Lisp a try instead.  The lack of decent
array-handling is one reason.

I have seen a post of an IEEE floating point package here in this
group.  I haven't looked at it, but perhaps it could be used to
assist importing floating-point wav-files?  I know, I can just
reimplement the perl-module for doing this (and make it handle 32-
bit as well...)

  Eivind L. Rygge

From: rif
What is it you actually want to do?

I use sox to convert .wav files into .raw files which are just
collections of 16-bit unsigned integers (you can specify the format as
an option to sox).  I then read them in in CL and do whatever I want
(I extract cepstral features, etc.).  I don't have anything that
actually parses the wav header to take advantage of different
encodings, sample rates, or bits/sample; I can certainly envision
writing such a thing, but it didn't (and still doesn't) seem easier to
me than just writing my code to work on streams of 16-bit unsigned
ints, leveraging off all the work the sox people have done.

rif
From: Eivind L. Rygge
rif <···@mit.edu> writes:

> What is it you actually want to do?

I have some broken audiofiles which I would like to sew together.  It
is too tedious to do without some help from some (smart) code.  My
first intention was to create a Nyquist plugin for Audacity which
could analyze and rearrange the fragments in the audio.  But perhaps I
will try a CL program (which can be ported into Nyquist if I can make
the program work...)

Anyway, I have started subscribing to the audacity-nyquist mailinglist
(as mr. Sky suggested).  So we'll see what comes out of it.

> I use sox to convert .wav files into .raw files which are just
> collections of 16-bit unsigned integers (you can specify the format as
> an option to sox).  I then read them in in CL and do whatever I want
> (I extract cepstral features, etc.).  I don't have anything that
> actually parses the wav header to take advantage of different
> encodings, sample rates, or bits/sample; I can certainly envision
> writing such a thing, but it didn't (and still doesn't) seem easier to
> me than just writing my code to work on streams of 16-bit unsigned
> ints, leveraging off all the work the sox people have done.

That is always a possibility.  I am quite new to lisp, so I haven't
really grasped the binary file-io stuff yet :-)  I already have used
sndfile-convert to convert the files from floating point format to
32 bit PCM in order for nyquist to read them.

Eivind L. Rygge
From: David R. Sky
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Eivind L. Rygge wrote:

> rif <···@mit.edu> writes:
>
>> What is it you actually want to do?
>
> I have some broken audiofiles which I would like to sew together.  It
> is too tedious to do without some help from some (smart) code.  My
> first intention was to create a Nyquist plugin for Audacity which
> could analyze and rearrange the fragments in the audio.  But perhaps I
> will try a CL program (which can be ported into Nyquist if I can make
> the program work...)
>
> Anyway, I have started subscribing to the audacity-nyquist mailinglist
> (as mr. Sky suggested).  So we'll see what comes out of it.

On this page is a program I think called 123 audio or something. It's
freeware for pathing together broken wav and other files.

    Linkname: Audacity Wiki: CrashRecovery