From: Surendra Singhi
Subject: slime and xemacs
hi,
  I recently downloaded the slime package from cvs and configured my
.init file to use the package downloaded from cvs.
But when I try to start the slime mode I get the following error, and
the repl doesn't starts up.

(1) (error/warning) Error in process filter: (error No such coding
system iso-8859-1-unix)

I have a window machine and is that the reason why I am getting the
error, and do I need to have a unix machine to use the slime package
from cvs?

Or is it some bug in some slime file, and I need to either fix it or
wait for a version of slime in cvs in which it is fixed?

Thanks in advance.

--
Surendra Singhi

www.public.asu.edu/~sksinghi

From: Andreas Eder
Subject: Re: slime and xemacs
Surendra Singhi <·········@netscape.net> writes:

> hi,
>   I recently downloaded the slime package from cvs and configured my
>   .init file to use the package downloaded from cvs.
> But when I try to start the slime mode I get the following error, and
> the repl doesn't starts up.
>
> (1) (error/warning) Error in process filter: (error No such coding
> system iso-8859-1-unix)
>
> I have a window machine and is that the reason why I am getting the
> error, and do I need to have a unix machine to use the slime package
> from cvs?

No, I'm running on linux (and sbcl) and I'm getting the same error
message.

> Or is it some bug in some slime file, and I need to either fix it or
> wait for a version of slime in cvs in which it is fixed?

Probably :-(

Andreas

--
Wherever I lay my .emacs, there's my $HOME.
From: Trent Buck
Quoth Andreas Eder on or about 2004-11-22:
>> But when I try to start the slime mode I get the following error, and
>> the repl doesn't starts up.
>>
>> (1) (error/warning) Error in process filter: (error No such coding
>> system iso-8859-1-unix)

(caveat: mostly uneducated response...)

That sounds like an emacs problem.  I have GNU Emacs 21.3.1 and SLIME
cvs 2004-11-20 on Debian sid, and the REPL loads fine.

In an open buffer, type M-x set-buffer-file-coding-system.  Hit tab a
few times to bring up a completion window.  Is iso-8859-1-unix in there?
If not, find something like iso-8859-1 or iso-latin-1, and go through
the SLIME sources renaming the one to the other.

HTH
-trent
From: Surendra Singhi
Trent Buck wrote:
> Quoth Andreas Eder on or about 2004-11-22:
>
>>>But when I try to start the slime mode I get the following error, and
>>>the repl doesn't starts up.
>>>
>>>(1) (error/warning) Error in process filter: (error No such coding
>>>system iso-8859-1-unix)
>

> (caveat: mostly uneducated response...)
>
> That sounds like an emacs problem.  I have GNU Emacs 21.3.1 and SLIME
> cvs 2004-11-20 on Debian sid, and the REPL loads fine.

I am using xemacs.

--
Surendra Singhi

www.public.asu.edu/~sksinghi