From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Class of '04, the Road to Lisp needs you!
OK, I mopped it up and moved the instructions into the survey proper
(and took a backup <g>).

   http://alu.cliki.net/The%20Road%20to%20Lisp%20Questions

btw, you need not have accomplished anything other than discovering Lisp
in order to respond usefully. The survey is what it says it is, a survey
of how folks ended up happily using a dead language.

kt

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/

From: M Jared Finder
Subject: Re: Class of '04, the Road to Lisp needs you!
Kenny Tilton wrote:
> OK, I mopped it up and moved the instructions into the survey proper
> (and took a backup <g>).
>
>   http://alu.cliki.net/The%20Road%20to%20Lisp%20Questions
>
> btw, you need not have accomplished anything other than discovering Lisp
> in order to respond usefully. The survey is what it says it is, a survey
> of how folks ended up happily using a dead language.

I'm still waiting to have about a year's experience with Lisp before I
fill out that survey.  How would I know that I stuck using Lisp instead
of its usage just being the path to a greater and more malleable
languages?  Of course, if I find such a language, I'll tell all of you
guys here. ;)

   -- MJF
From: Kenneth Tilton
In article <···············@uni-berlin.de>,
 M Jared Finder <·······@digipen.edu> wrote:

> Kenny Tilton wrote:
> > OK, I mopped it up and moved the instructions into the survey proper
> > (and took a backup <g>).
> >
> >   http://alu.cliki.net/The%20Road%20to%20Lisp%20Questions
> >
> > btw, you need not have accomplished anything other than discovering Lisp
> > in order to respond usefully. The survey is what it says it is, a survey
> > of how folks ended up happily using a dead language.
>
> I'm still waiting to have about a year's experience with Lisp before I
> fill out that survey.  How would I know that I stuck using Lisp instead
> of its usage just being the path to a greater and more malleable
> languages?  Of course, if I find such a language, I'll tell all of you
> guys here. ;)

You mean Arc, I think. Deep Thought: Arc is probably being developed as
an embedded language. Embedded in guess what language. :)

kt
From: Gorbag
"Kenny Tilton" <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
·························@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> OK, I mopped it up and moved the instructions into the survey proper
> (and took a backup <g>).
>
>    http://alu.cliki.net/The%20Road%20to%20Lisp%20Questions
>
> btw, you need not have accomplished anything other than discovering Lisp
> in order to respond usefully. The survey is what it says it is, a survey
> of how folks ended up happily using a dead language.

I'm not dead yet!

--Lisp
From: Trent Buck
Quoth Gorbag on or about 2004-11-22:
> I'm not dead yet!

What?
Nothing, here's your ninepence.
I'm not dead!
Here, he says he's not dead!
Yes he is.
I'm not.
He isn't.
He will be soon, he's very ill.
I'm getting better!
No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment.
I can't take him like that.  It's against regulations.
I don't want to go on the cart,
Oh, don't be such a baby.
I can't take him.
I feel fine!
From: Thomas Gagne
Kenny Tilton wrote:
> OK, I mopped it up and moved the instructions into the survey proper
> (and took a backup <g>).
>
>   http://alu.cliki.net/The%20Road%20to%20Lisp%20Questions
>
> btw, you need not have accomplished anything other than discovering Lisp
> in order to respond usefully. The survey is what it says it is, a survey
> of how folks ended up happily using a dead language.

What's the criteria for "Happily?"  I'm learning it now but think I'll need
lisp interfacing with Sybase and C modules inside shared libraries before I'm
doing anything useful or could consider using it at the office.
From: Kenny Tilton
Thomas Gagne wrote:

> Kenny Tilton wrote:
>
>> OK, I mopped it up and moved the instructions into the survey proper
>> (and took a backup <g>).
>>
>>   http://alu.cliki.net/The%20Road%20to%20Lisp%20Questions
>>
>> btw, you need not have accomplished anything other than discovering
>> Lisp in order to respond usefully. The survey is what it says it is, a
>> survey of how folks ended up happily using a dead language.
>

> What's the criteria for "Happily?"  I'm learning it now but think I'll
> need lisp interfacing with Sybase and C modules inside shared libraries
> before I'm doing anything useful or could consider using it at the office.

All I meant was that if one were still making up one's mind as to
whether one liked the language per se, one could not reasonably be
considered happy with Lisp.

If, however, one has started writing a DLL so one can use Lisp for
Actual Work, then presumably one is happy enough with the language to be
considered to have arrived (road-wise).

Speaking of which, I just went down the Class of 2004 and added a few
folks to the Highlight Film. With the changeover from the ALU, however,
most of "recent changes" history got swept away, and that is another
place I would look for new Roads. It /is/ a wiki, but if anyone is not
in the highlight film and wants me to pick the highlight, just send me a
note and I will get on it.

kt

--
Cells? Cello? Cells-Gtkk?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
Land o' Kenny? http://www.tilton-technology.com/index.html

Obligatory quote to make me seem cool:

"Doctor, I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to
state that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd