From: Jason
Subject: newbie trying to find a good and simple compiler/editor to practice common lisp on
hi, i just started on learning Common LISP.. i need an editor/compiler
that is simple to use and at the sametime implements the full common
lisp language, so i can start small with the language and work my way
up to a more advanced compiler later.. i tried out Emacs, but i heard
it only would work well with Emacs LISP.. is that true? if it is true,
can anyone suggest a good simple editor to start on? thanks alot!

From: M Jared Finder
Jason wrote:
> hi, i just started on learning Common LISP.. i need an editor/compiler
> that is simple to use and at the sametime implements the full common
> lisp language, so i can start small with the language and work my way
> up to a more advanced compiler later.. i tried out Emacs, but i heard
> it only would work well with Emacs LISP.. is that true? if it is true,
> can anyone suggest a good simple editor to start on? thanks alot!

If you are running a Unix-like OS, I have found SBCL + Slime + Emacs to
be a great development environment.  On Debian, SBCL and Emacs are
installable from APT, and Slime can be downloaded from
<URL:http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/>.

   -- MJF
From: David Steuber
··········@gmail.com (Jason) writes:

> hi, i just started on learning Common LISP.. i need an editor/compiler
> that is simple to use and at the sametime implements the full common
> lisp language, so i can start small with the language and work my way
> up to a more advanced compiler later.. i tried out Emacs, but i heard
> it only would work well with Emacs LISP.. is that true? if it is true,
> can anyone suggest a good simple editor to start on? thanks alot!

It is not true.  Emacs works very well with Common Lisp.  Get SLIME
and pick any of Clisp, CMUCL, SBCL, OpenMCL, Allegro, Lispworks,
depending on your tastes and platform.

--
An ideal world is left as an excercise to the reader.
   --- Paul Graham, On Lisp 8.1
From: Kenny Tilton
David Steuber wrote:

> ··········@gmail.com (Jason) writes:
>

>>hi, i just started on learning Common LISP.. i need an editor/compiler
>>that is simple to use and at the sametime implements the full common
>>lisp language, so i can start small with the language and work my way
>>up to a more advanced compiler later.. i tried out Emacs, but i heard
>>it only would work well with Emacs LISP.. is that true? if it is true,
>>can anyone suggest a good simple editor to start on? thanks alot!
>

> It is not true.  Emacs works very well with Common Lisp.  Get SLIME
> and pick any of Clisp, CMUCL, SBCL, OpenMCL, Allegro, Lispworks,
> depending on your tastes and platform.

And then you can spend weeks learning Emacs and Slime instead of Lisp.

:)

kenny

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: Szymon

>> [.....]
>
> And then you can spend weeks learning Emacs and Slime instead of Lisp.

A few days in my case.

> :)
>
> kenny

Regards, Szymon.
From: David Steuber

> David Steuber wrote:
>
> > Emacs works very well with Common Lisp.  Get SLIME and pick any of
> > Clisp, CMUCL, SBCL, OpenMCL, Allegro, Lispworks, depending on your
> > tastes and platform.
>
> And then you can spend weeks learning Emacs and Slime instead of Lisp.

Hmmm.  Perhaps the Paul Graham method would be better.  Use Vim and
copy/paste code into the CLisp REPL for testing.  Then test the file
using (load (compile-file "foo.lisp")).  This should work on all
platforms.

One of these days, I'll have to learn how to use Emacs and Slime.  I
think all told I am using fewer than a dozen editor commands,
including the Slime ones.

From: Neo-LISPer
David Steuber wrote:

> Hmmm.  Perhaps the Paul Graham method would be better.  Use Vim and
> copy/paste code into the CLisp REPL for testing.  Then test the file
> using (load (compile-file "foo.lisp")).  This should work on all
> platforms.

I think it was alleged that he uses vi, not vim. Do you know this for a fact
though? I only saw a reference to that rplacd article on slashdot.
From: David Steuber
Neo-LISPer <··········@yahoo.com> writes:

> David Steuber wrote:
>
> > Hmmm.  Perhaps the Paul Graham method would be better.  Use Vim and
> > copy/paste code into the CLisp REPL for testing.  Then test the file
> > using (load (compile-file "foo.lisp")).  This should work on all
> > platforms.
>
> I think it was alleged that he uses vi, not vim. Do you know this for a fact
> though? I only saw a reference to that rplacd article on slashdot.

I don't know it for a fact.  I also tend to ignore the distinction
between vim and vi as I've only ever used vim.  Even the vi command
has been aliased to vim.  Mind you, my Unix experience is limited to
Solaris, Linux, and OS X.

I seem to recall pg making a reference to stone knives though in
response to a question about his favorite ide.  You can always ask him
directly I suppose.  I don't know if he answerers random e-mail or
not.  I think I've posted a reference to this which can be found by
Google.  I don't have it on hand.

From: AndrewP
David Steuber wrote:
> Hmmm.  Perhaps the Paul Graham method would be better.  Use Vim and
> copy/paste code into the CLisp REPL for testing.  Then test the file
> using (load (compile-file "foo.lisp")).

An alternative to vim-clisp cut/paste is a vim "macro" that
fires up clisp in
a shell and loads the current vim buffer into it.  This
works quite well for
small files.  For example if one puts the following in
.vimrc, typing :Li while
editing a lisp program loads it into clisp.  Typing <ctrl>-D
in clisp returns to vim.

     function SpawnShell(...)
         let buf = tempname()
         exec "write ".buf
         if a:0 == 1
              let files = " ".a:1
         else
              let files = ""
         endif
         let old_shell = &shell
         let &shell = g:shellname.buf.files
         shell
         let &shell = old_shell
     endfunction

     set lisp autoindent showmatch
     let clisp_interp = "clisp -ansi -q -i "
     command -nargs=? -complete=file Li :let g:shellname =
clisp_interp  | call  SpawnShell(<f-args>)

Modification makes this suitable for other Lisp implementations.

One can also use vim's  keyword lookup command "K" by
redefining the
variable "keywordprg" to be some script that points a web
browser to the
correct Hyperspec page.

Andrew.
From: Larry Clapp
Sorry to respond so late to this thread.

In article <··············@david-steuber.com>, David Steuber wrote:
> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>> David Steuber wrote:
>> > Emacs works very well with Common Lisp.  Get SLIME and pick any
>> > of Clisp, CMUCL, SBCL, OpenMCL, Allegro, Lispworks, depending on
>> > your tastes and platform.
>>
>> And then you can spend weeks learning Emacs and Slime instead of Lisp.
>
> Hmmm.  Perhaps the Paul Graham method would be better.  Use Vim and
> copy/paste code into the CLisp REPL for testing.  Then test the file
> using (load (compile-file "foo.lisp")).  This should work on all
> platforms.

If you really insist on using Vim, I've automated the "cut-and-paste"
process.  See http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=221 .

-- Larry
From: Dirk Gerrits

> And then you can spend weeks learning Emacs and Slime instead of Lisp.

There's a difference? :)

Kind regards,

Dirk Gerrits
From: Kenny Tilton
Jason wrote:
> hi, i just started on learning Common LISP.. i need an editor/compiler
> that is simple to use and at the sametime implements the full common
> lisp language, so i can start small with the language and work my way
> up to a more advanced compiler later.. i tried out Emacs, but i heard
> it only would work well with Emacs LISP.. is that true? if it is true,
> can anyone suggest a good simple editor to start on? thanks alot!

what OS? there are free trial versions for most commercial products on
most OSes. Ignore any and all recommendations of Emacs+Slime -- that is
like stocking driver's ed class with Indy cars (from the '40s).

kennt

--
Cells? Cello? Celtik?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
From: David Steuber

> Ignore any and all recommendations of Emacs+Slime -- that is like
> stocking driver's ed class with Indy cars (from the '40s).

That would have at least made driver's ed interesting.

From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello 'Kenny)
(you :wrote  :on '(Sat, 20 Nov 2004 02:19:35 GMT))
(

 KT> what OS? there are free trial versions for most commercial products
 KT> on  most OSes. Ignore any and all recommendations of Emacs+Slime --

IMO emacs+slime+clisp is not much more confusing (for newbies) than
lispworks and acl (or maybe even better - there's less buttons to click on
8-]) - only installation can be more tricky.

)
(prin1 "Jane dates only Lisp programmers"))
From: Pascal Bourguignon
··········@gmail.com (Jason) writes:

> hi, i just started on learning Common LISP.. i need an editor/compiler
> that is simple to use and at the sametime implements the full common
> lisp language, so i can start small with the language and work my way
> up to a more advanced compiler later.. i tried out Emacs, but i heard
> it only would work well with Emacs LISP.. is that true? if it is true,
> can anyone suggest a good simple editor to start on? thanks alot!

emacs is a great editor for any lisp,

But if you want an editor whose customization language is Common-Lisp,
then you can use Hemlock (delivered with cmucl)
or PortableHemlock that should work with any Common-Lisp implementation.

The world will now reboot; don't bother saving your artefacts.
From: mikel
Jason wrote:
> hi, i just started on learning Common LISP.. i need an editor/compiler
> that is simple to use and at the sametime implements the full common
> lisp language, so i can start small with the language and work my way
> up to a more advanced compiler later.. i tried out Emacs, but i heard
> it only would work well with Emacs LISP.. is that true? if it is true,
> can anyone suggest a good simple editor to start on? thanks alot!

If you are using Linux of Windows, consuder grabbing Lisp in a Box from

http://common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/

If you are using Mac OS X, send mail to me at

mikel at evins dot net

and I'll tell you how to get the OSX version of Lisp in a Box.

Then send me questions by email if you have trouble figuring out how to
use Lisp in a Box. Peter Seibel, author of _Practical Common Lisp_, and
Matthew Danish, packager of the Windows and Linux version of Lisp in a
Box might also be willing to help out some.
From: Fernando

Sure: http://www.lispworks.com
From: Jason
··········@gmail.com (Jason) wrote in message news:<···························@posting.google.com>...
> hi, i just started on learning Common LISP.. i need an editor/compiler
> that is simple to use and at the sametime implements the full common
> lisp language, so i can start small with the language and work my way
> up to a more advanced compiler later.. i tried out Emacs, but i heard
> it only would work well with Emacs LISP.. is that true? if it is true,
> can anyone suggest a good simple editor to start on? thanks alot!

mmm.. well, my OS is Windows XP.. running Linux via VMware.. didn't
bother learning linux yet.. too busy learning other stuff (lisp for
example :D), and i tried LISPworks, there are soo many function i
don't even know what they are for.. i just need a complete language
implementation, a evaluator, a compiler, and a loader.. all others is
extra, since i'm just learning stuff.. thanks alot!
From: Bruce Stephens
··········@gmail.com (Jason) writes:

[...]

> mmm.. well, my OS is Windows XP.. running Linux via VMware.. didn't
> bother learning linux yet.. too busy learning other stuff (lisp for
> example :D), and i tried LISPworks, there are soo many function i
> don't even know what they are for.. i just need a complete language
> implementation, a evaluator, a compiler, and a loader.. all others
> is extra, since i'm just learning stuff.. thanks alot!

A complete language implementation for Common Lisp is inevitably going
to contain a large number of functions.  And each implementation will
add something extra to the language, whether it's threads, graphics,
or whatever.
From: Albert Reiner
[··········@gmail.com (Jason), 20 Nov 2004 16:14:29 -0800]:

> there are soo many function i don't even know what they are for..

You might want to do some superficial reading of the language standard
at, e.g., <http://clhs.lisp.se/>; then it will be much easier to find
the functions you need when you need them.

Albert.
From: Randall Randall
Albert Reiner wrote:
> [··········@gmail.com (Jason), 20 Nov 2004 16:14:29 -0800]:
>

>>there are soo many function i don't even know what they are for..
>

> You might want to do some superficial reading of the language standard
> at, e.g., <http://clhs.lisp.se/>; then it will be much easier to find
> the functions you need when you need them.

I assume he means there are too many menus and buttons and
it's not at all clear what's the best thing to start.  If
anything, LispWorks' GUI environment has a steeper learning
curve than Emacs, in my opinion (and I say this as someone
who put off learning Emacs for many years, and am only now
using it in earnest).

--
Randall Randall <·······@randallsquared.com>
From: Mark McConnell
··········@gmail.com (Jason) wrote in message news:<···························@posting.google.com>...
> ··········@gmail.com (Jason) wrote in message news:<···························@posting.google.com>...
> mmm.. well, my OS is Windows XP.. running Linux via VMware.. didn't
> bother learning linux yet.. too busy learning other stuff (lisp for
> example :D), and i tried LISPworks, there are soo many function i
> don't even know what they are for.. i just need a complete language
> implementation, a evaluator, a compiler, and a loader.. all others is
> extra, since i'm just learning stuff.. thanks alot!

Which books are you using to learn Lisp?  That might help us make
recommendations.

If you'd like a simpler learning curve, and if you don't need GUI
programming (at least for now), I'd use clisp at the DOS command line.
 Follow clisp's readme to create a clisp.bat file with the right
flags.  Use
(compile-file ...) and (load ...) to load programs written with your
favorite outside editor.  For this approach, a basic textbook I'd
recommend is Winston and Horn, _Lisp_, 2nd or edition or later.
Various sites (cliki, www.alu.org) have lists of other books.

The Common Lisp Hyperspec
(http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/hyperspec/HyperSpec/FrontMatter/)
is an online reference for all the zillions of functions in Common
Lisp.
From: lin8080
Jason schrieb:

> hi, i just started on learning Common LISP.. i need an editor/compiler

I use SciTE. Available for win and linux. It is nice and does the job
well.

stefan
From: crisp
··········@gmail.com (Jason) wrote in message news:<···························@posting.google.com>...
> hi, i just started on learning Common LISP.. i need an editor/compiler
> that is simple to use and at the sametime implements the full common
> lisp language, so i can start small with the language and work my way
> up to a more advanced compiler later.. i tried out Emacs, but i heard
> it only would work well with Emacs LISP.. is that true? if it is true,
> can anyone suggest a good simple editor to start on? thanks alot!

http://armedbear-j.sourceforge.net/
It's an editor with a complete ANSI common lisp environment, free,
runs anywhere java runs.
From: crisp