From: Szymon
Subject: Data for Erann Gat's chellenge (phone numbers & dictionary).
Hi.

Please send me (data[*] or link) to oryginal data.

I wrote solution but I do not have any data to test
and measure it.

[*] 1) file with words.
    2) file with phone numbers.

    3) file with solution (numbers + words not code).

(3) -> because I think I misundersood the chellenge.
       My solution is too short, and I wrote it too
       fast.

TIA, Szymon.

;;; *NOT TESTED AS WHOLE* _must_ have bugs...

(defpackage "WORDS" (:use "WORDS"))
(defun DO-IT (&key (words-file   "dictionary.txt")
                   (numbers-file "phone-numbers.txt")
                   (->file       "chellenge-output.txt"))
  (labels ((word2num (word)
             (loop for c across (delete-if-not #'alpha-char-p word)
                   for r = (+ 10 (char2num c)) then (+ (* 10 r) (char2num c))
                   finally (return r)))
           (char2num (char)
             (position-if (lambda (x) (find (char-upcase char) (symbol-name x)))
                          #(E JNQ RWX DSY FT AM CIV BKU LOP GHZ))))
    (with-open-file (s words-file)
      (loop for word = (read-line s nil) while word do
            (setf (symbol-value (intern (string-upcase word) "WORDS")) (word2num word)))))
  (let ((pnums (make-hash-table))
        (num-list (with-open-file (s numbers-file)
                    (loop for num = (delete #\- (read-line s nil)) while num
                          collect (parse-integer num)))))
    (do-symbols (s "WORDS")
      (dolist (i (remove-if-not (lambda (n) (eql (symbol-value s) n)) num-list))
        (push s (gethash i pnums))))
    (with-open-file (s ->file :direction :output :if-exists :overwrite :if-does-not-exist :create)
      (maphash (lambda (num lst) (format s "~A: ~{~A~}~%" num lst)) pnums))))

From: David Sletten
Szymon wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Please send me (data[*] or link) to oryginal data.

In case you missed it, he's changed his name:
http://www.flownet.com/ron/eg-rg-faq

David Sletten
From: Pascal Bourguignon
David Sletten <·····@slytobias.com> writes:

> Szymon wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> > Please send me (data[*] or link) to oryginal data.
> >
> In case you missed it, he's changed his name:
> http://www.flownet.com/ron/eg-rg-faq

Indeed, better to refer him as the lisp programmer formerly known as Erann Gat.
;-)

The world will now reboot; don't bother saving your artefacts.
From: Christopher C. Stacy
Pascal Bourguignon <····@mouse-potato.com> writes:

> David Sletten <·····@slytobias.com> writes:
>
> > Szymon wrote:
> >
> > > Hi.
> > > Please send me (data[*] or link) to oryginal data.
> > >
> > In case you missed it, he's changed his name:
> > http://www.flownet.com/ron/eg-rg-faq
>
> Indeed, better to refer him as the lisp programmer formerly known as Erann Gat.

What symbol does he use?
(And can it be written without Unicode?)
From: Ron Garret
In article <··············@eva.rplacd.net>, Szymon <············@o2.pl>
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Please send me (data[*] or link) to oryginal data.

I'm just heading out of town and I'll be off line until December 8, but
if you haven't managed to find a copy before then drop me a line and
I'll dig the files out of my archives.

rg
From: Thomas Gagne
Did anyone get the data yet?  Remove the dashes from my email address and
please email!

From: Ron Garret
In article <················@wide-open-west.com>,
 Thomas Gagne <······@wide-open-west.com> wrote:

> Did anyone get the data yet?

Due to popular demand (two people have asked for it now) I've posted it
on the Web:

http://www.flownet.com/ron/papers/lisp-java/

rg