From: Thomas A. Russ
Subject: Re: Terminology, translation, English-Turkish, interpretation, Lisp,  etc.
Emre Sevinc <·····@bilgi.edu.tr> writes:

> Well, I also have the "stack" and "heap" problem
> but since they have very similar translations in Turkish
> I think I'll have to handle that myself (but then again
> any recommendations will be appreciated indeed ;-)

I would have thought there would already be fairly standard translations
of these terms in to technical Turkish.  Stacks and Heaps are not really
specific to Lisp programs, but pretty much apply to almost all modern
programming languages.

From: Bulent Murtezaoglu
[...]
    TAR> I would have thought there would already be fairly standard
    TAR> translations of these terms in to technical Turkish.

That's what I thought until I noticed ES was using a word that roughly
meant 'heap' to translate 'stack' and told me that was standard usage.

    TAR> Stacks
    TAR> and Heaps are not really specific to Lisp programs, but
    TAR> pretty much apply to almost all modern programming languages.

Yes.  When most of the 'top' schools use English as the language of
instruction in CS, though, people who would otherwise have come up
good translations long ago don't seem to have bothered. (Myself
included, up till now).  I am unsure how bad this is in the general
sense, but when one's trying to reach enthusiasts in Turkish it
certainly creates extra work in either coming up with good
translations of terms or redoing the existing ones.  Lisp is good in
exposing holes in one's understanding of conecepts anyway. In
translation work it also exposes holes and deficiencies in the
existing vocabulary.

cheers,

BM