From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Did scheme introduce the #f/nil/() split?
Was Scheme the first Lisp (or near-Lisp if you prefer) dialect to make
falsehood, the symbol NIL, and the empty list into three separate
values?

-Peter

From: William Bland
Subject: Re: Did scheme introduce the #f/nil/() split?
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 05:17:48 +0000, Peter Seibel wrote:

> Was Scheme the first Lisp (or near-Lisp if you prefer) dialect to make
> falsehood, the symbol NIL, and the empty list into three separate
> values?
>
> -Peter

You've probably already seen it, but

http://www.dreamsongs.com/NewFiles/Hopl2.pdf

is a good reference for this.  As far as I can see, the answer is yes.

Cheers,
	Bill.
--
"If you give someone Fortran, he has Fortran. If you give someone Lisp,
he has any language he pleases." -- Guy Steele
From: Christopher C. Stacy
Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> writes:

> Was Scheme the first Lisp (or near-Lisp if you prefer) dialect to make
> falsehood, the symbol NIL, and the empty list into three separate values?

No. MDL had that.
From: Peter Seibel
······@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) writes:

> Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> writes:
>
>> Was Scheme the first Lisp (or near-Lisp if you prefer) dialect to make
>> falsehood, the symbol NIL, and the empty list into three separate values?
>
> No. MDL had that.

Man, MDL had all kinds of stuff--didn't it also give us fancy lambda
lists? Anyone have a pointer to an on-line MDL manual?

-Peter

From: Pascal Costanza
Peter Seibel wrote:
> ······@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) writes:
>
>>Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> writes:
>>
>>>Was Scheme the first Lisp (or near-Lisp if you prefer) dialect to make
>>>falsehood, the symbol NIL, and the empty list into three separate values?
>>
>>No. MDL had that.
>
> Man, MDL had all kinds of stuff--didn't it also give us fancy lambda
> lists? Anyone have a pointer to an on-line MDL manual?

There are three publications about MDL - technical reports 292, 293 and
294 from the MIT Laboratory for Computer Science - that I have seen
mentioned so far. However, they are not available as downloads yet. (I
would expect them at http://www.lcs.mit.edu/publications/publications.php )

I am in contact with people at the MIT in order to get those reports
published, but it seems to take some time. (Maybe someone with a better
connection to the MIT than me can do something about it...)

Pascal

--
Tyler: "How's that working out for you?"
Jack: "Great."
From: Christopher C. Stacy
Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> writes:

> ······@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) writes:
>
> > Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> writes:
> >
> >> Was Scheme the first Lisp (or near-Lisp if you prefer) dialect to make
> >> falsehood, the symbol NIL, and the empty list into three separate values?
> >
> > No. MDL had that.
>
> Man, MDL had all kinds of stuff--didn't it also give us fancy lambda
> lists? Anyone have a pointer to an on-line MDL manual?

It did (if you mean the &FOO frobbies).