From: GP lisper
Subject: CMUCL Motif debugger and FVWM2
Back when I was first setting up FVWM 1.24r, I remember the software
mentioning that it was 'motif compatible', and I ran some Motif
demo application at that time without difficulty.

Now I use FVWM2 and so far have been unable to get the CMUCL motif
debugger working, it just dies when the startup cannot get the socket
working.  I seem to have a libXm, and have both lesstif and openmotif
installed.

Has anyone (not using MWM) gotten the CMUCL graphical debugger working?

--
Everyman has three hearts;
one to show the world, one to show friends, and one only he knows.

From: Fred Gilham
Subject: Re: CMUCL Motif debugger and FVWM2
I use twm and now ctwm and the motif debugger has almost always worked
for me to the point of popping up its window and pretending to do most
of the stuff I ask it to do.

--
Fred Gilham                                       ······@csl.sri.com
            What if thou make us able to make like thee ---
From: Raymond Toy

    GP> Back when I was first setting up FVWM 1.24r, I remember the software
    GP> mentioning that it was 'motif compatible', and I ran some Motif
    GP> demo application at that time without difficulty.

    GP> Now I use FVWM2 and so far have been unable to get the CMUCL motif
    GP> debugger working, it just dies when the startup cannot get the socket
    GP> working.  I seem to have a libXm, and have both lesstif and openmotif
    GP> installed.

    GP> Has anyone (not using MWM) gotten the CMUCL graphical debugger working?

I think I've tried it with fvwm2 long ago.  It certainly displays ok
with gnome 1.x and gnome-whatever-comes-with-suse-9.

If it can't create the socket, it's probably not the fault of the
window manager in use.

Show us the error message.

Ray
From: GP lisper
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:44:01 -0500, <···········@ericsson.com> wrote:

>    GP> Now I use FVWM2 and so far have been unable to get the CMUCL motif
>    GP> debugger working, it just dies when the startup cannot get the socket
>    GP> working.  I seem to have a libXm, and have both lesstif and openmotif
>    GP> installed.
>
>    GP> Has anyone (not using MWM) gotten the CMUCL graphical debugger working?
>
> I think I've tried it with fvwm2 long ago.  It certainly displays ok
> with gnome 1.x and gnome-whatever-comes-with-suse-9.
>
> If it can't create the socket, it's probably not the fault of the
> window manager in use.
>
> Show us the error message.

Good to know that it will work, and I see that my ability to read
debugger messages has gotten better since I last tried this.

CL-USER>

(defun square-1 (x) (x^2))

SQUARE-1
CL-USER> (square-1 '3)

; In: LAMBDA (X)

;   #'(LAMBDA (X) (BLOCK SQUARE-1 #))
; Note: Variable X defined but never used.
; ;

; Warning: This function is undefined:
;   X^2
Invoking debugger...
library:motifd: Symbol `_XmStrings' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
Starting server:
   will_fork  = False
   will_trace = False
   No Inet domain socket created.
   path       = /tmp/.motif_socket-p11584

File-error in function LISP::FD-OPEN:
   Error opening #p"/root/.Xauthority", Permission denied.
   [Condition of type KERNEL:SIMPLE-FILE-ERROR]

Restarts:
  0: [CONTINUE] Try again.
  1: [ABORT   ] Return to Top-Level.

Ah, so it looks at .Xauthority, while the system is set with "xhost +".

No other user has problems getting X applications running (I see 5
users on this machine at the moment).  If I load the clm-library as
root, it does popup a debugger window.  Hopefully there is a flag I
can set to adjust the X security model inside clm.

Is the "Inspector" worth the effort to fix this?  I like the idea
suggested in another reply about leaving the debugger as text and
enjoying the graphical Inspector, but I haven't tried it.

[bandwidth saving notes] been using unix for nearly 20 years, I trust
myself totally, I trust my "users" totally, made all those mistakes
you want to warn me about long ago, 2 firewalls between me and the
Jungle, backups are my friend, much security advice is parroted on
without thought.

From: GP lisper
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:28:54 +1300, <···@below.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 05:04:21 GMT, GP lisper wrote:
>
>> Invoking debugger...
>> library:motifd: Symbol `_XmStrings' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
>
> I expect this will turn out to be a Serious Problem, even if you get
> the X connection working.

The source to clm seems to be available, someplace in the cmucl
tarballs.  Given that, I can munge the .Xauthority request too and
look at the 'patch to use text debugger' idea.

The important fact was learning that it could work, thanks to all that
replied.

From: Eric Marsden

  gl> File-error in function LISP::FD-OPEN:
  gl> Error opening #p"/root/.Xauthority", Permission denied.
  gl> [Condition of type KERNEL:SIMPLE-FILE-ERROR]

  gl> Ah, so it looks at .Xauthority, while the system is set with "xhost +".
  gl>
  gl> No other user has problems getting X applications running (I see 5
  gl> users on this machine at the moment).  If I load the clm-library as
  gl> root, it does popup a debugger window.  Hopefully there is a flag I
  gl> can set to adjust the X security model inside clm.

  this is CMUCL's CLX implementation trying to read X11 authentication
  information (CLM uses two connections with the X server, one for the
  Motif library and one for CLX). CLX should really be ignoring the
  Xauthority file if it's not readable; we should fix that for the
  next release.

  As a workaround for your situation, you could redefine the function
  XLIB::GET-BEST-AUTHORIZATION always to return NIL.

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>
From: GP lisper
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:10:46 +0100, <········@laas.fr> wrote:

>  gl> File-error in function LISP::FD-OPEN:
>  gl> Error opening #p"/root/.Xauthority", Permission denied.
>  gl> [Condition of type KERNEL:SIMPLE-FILE-ERROR]
>
>  gl> Ah, so it looks at .Xauthority, while the system is set with "xhost +".
>
>   this is CMUCL's CLX implementation trying to read X11 authentication
>   information (CLM uses two connections with the X server, one for the
>   Motif library and one for CLX). CLX should really be ignoring the
>   Xauthority file if it's not readable; we should fix that for the
>   next release.
>
>   As a workaround for your situation, you could redefine the function
>   XLIB::GET-BEST-AUTHORIZATION always to return NIL.

Well the real problem appears to be what someone pointed out,

	library:motifd: Symbol `_XmStrings' has different size in shared
	object, consider re-linking

even as root, where the graphical debugger will work, my variables get
stepped on.  I have Openmotif-2.1.30 installed, perhaps you linked
against a version 1 lib?  I could recompile from source, but at the
moment this is not a pressing need.  I started the thread because I
didn't have a clue what CLM debugger would do for me and wanted to try
it.  At the moment, the text debugger is fine, I'm still in the
'gathering sticks for the first fire' stage with lisp, I can see that
I know most of what is required to convert my perl code (just need
some sockets practice and a way to hook into a packet capture ability).

I tried the redefinition, but apparently I don't know enough to
successfully pull that off, I got a series of errors, for instance:

CL-USER>  (defun  XLIB::GET-BEST-AUTHORIZATION () (return))

XLIB::GET-BEST-AUTHORIZATION
CL-USER> (defun square-1 (x) (x^2))

SQUARE-1
CL-USER> (square-1 '3)

; In: LAMBDA (X)

;   #'(LAMBDA (X) (BLOCK SQUARE-1 #))
; Note: Variable X defined but never used.
; ;

; Warning: This function is undefined:
;   X^2
Invoking debugger...
library:motifd: Symbol `_XmStrings' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
Starting server:
   will_fork  = False
   will_trace = False
   No Inet domain socket created.
   path       = /tmp/.motif_socket-p21355
Waiting for connection.

; In: LAMBDA NIL

;   (RETURN)
; ==>
;   (RETURN-FROM NIL NIL)
; Error: Return for unknown block: NIL.
;

Wrong argument count, wanted 0 and got 3.
   [Condition of type KERNEL:SIMPLE-PROGRAM-ERROR]

Restarts:
  0: [ABORT] Return to Top-Level.

Debug  (type H for help)

(KERNEL:%COERCE-TO-FUNCTION X^2)
Source: Error finding source:
Error in function DEBUG::GET-FILE-TOP-LEVEL-FORM:  Source file no longer exists:
  target:code/fdefinition.lisp.
0] Accepting client on Unix socket.
Accepted client on fd 4
Server not forking.

(at which point it would hang...I have fubared the authorization
function)

From: Eric Marsden

  gl> I tried the redefinition, but apparently I don't know enough to
  gl> successfully pull that off, I got a series of errors, for instance:
  gl>
  gl> (defun  XLIB::GET-BEST-AUTHORIZATION () (return))

  the following has a better chance of working:

  (require :clm)
  (setf (fdefinition 'xlib::get-best-authorization)
        (lambda (a b c) (declare (ignore a b c)) nil))
  (inspect *package*)

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>