From: surendra
Subject: any way to automatically avoid recursive printin
Hi,
  I want to print a structure which contains reference to another which
structure which in turn points to it.

I was trying to print it, but my system (clisp) was crashing without
printing anything or giving any error message, and it took me a long
time to realize that the interpreter is going into an infinite loop,
which is making it crash. Is there any way to prevent the interpreter
from going into such loops any flag or something which prevents it?
Or do I have to make sure while programming that it doesn't happen?

Thanks,

Surendra Singhi

From: Szymon
surendra <·········@netscape.net> writes:

> Hi,
>   I want to print a structure which contains reference to another
>   which structure which in turn points to it.

> [.....]

Try (SETQ *PRINT-CIRCLE* T).

HTH, Szymon.
From: Barry Margolin
In article <··············@eva.rplacd.net>, Szymon <············@o2.pl>
wrote:

> surendra <·········@netscape.net> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >   I want to print a structure which contains reference to another
> >   which structure which in turn points to it.
>
> > [.....]
>
> Try (SETQ *PRINT-CIRCLE* T).

Setting *PRINT-DEPTH* to non-NIL should also suffice.  Unless the
structure has a PRINT-OBJECT method that ignores the depth parameter.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA