From: Erann Gat
Subject: clsql problem
I'm trying to use CLSQL.  I've got asdf version 1.81, uffi version
1.4.20, clsql version 2.11.3 and CMUCL version 18c running on Debian
Woody.  Everything goes fine until I try to load clsql-mysql.  Then this
happens:

File-error in function COMMON-LISP::INTERNAL-LOAD:
   "modules:uffi-library" does not exist.

The string "uffi-library" does not appear in any of the .asd files, so I
am at a loss.  Guidance appreciated.

Thanks,
E.

From: Kevin M. Rosenberg
Subject: Re: clsql problem
On 2004-05-30, Erann Gat <·········@flownet.com> wrote:
> File-error in function COMMON-LISP::INTERNAL-LOAD:
>    "modules:uffi-library" does not exist.

Did you push the UFFI path onto asdf:*central-registry* as shown
in http://clsql.b9.com/manual/installation.htm

--
Kevin Rosenberg
·····@rosenberg.net
From: Erann Gat
In article <···················@tiger.med-info.com>,
 "Kevin M. Rosenberg" <·····@news.swcp.com> wrote:

> On 2004-05-30, Erann Gat <·········@flownet.com> wrote:
> > File-error in function COMMON-LISP::INTERNAL-LOAD:
> >    "modules:uffi-library" does not exist.
>
> Did you push the UFFI path onto asdf:*central-registry* as shown
> in http://clsql.b9.com/manual/installation.htm

Yes.  In fact, I load UFFI before loading CLSQL.  UFFI itself loads fine.

E.
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Erann Gat <·········@flownet.com> writes:

> In article <···················@tiger.med-info.com>,
>  "Kevin M. Rosenberg" <·····@news.swcp.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2004-05-30, Erann Gat <·········@flownet.com> wrote:
> > > File-error in function COMMON-LISP::INTERNAL-LOAD:
> > >    "modules:uffi-library" does not exist.
> >
> > Did you push the UFFI path onto asdf:*central-registry* as shown
> > in http://clsql.b9.com/manual/installation.htm
>
> Yes.  In fact, I load UFFI before loading CLSQL.  UFFI itself loads fine.

In that case, I'd push :uffi onto *features*.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Kevin M. Rosenberg
On 2004-05-30, Erann Gat <·········@flownet.com> wrote:
> Yes.  In fact, I load UFFI before loading CLSQL.  UFFI itself loads fine.

I've uploaded CLSQL v2.11.4 which removed the Common Lisp Controller
logic that Edi and Nikodemus pointed out. That version adds support
for MySQL 4.1.

If you have any further problems, please send them to the clsql-devel
mail list.

--
Kevin Rosenberg
·····@rosenberg.net
From: Edi Weitz
On Sat, 29 May 2004 23:00:26 -0700, Erann Gat <·········@flownet.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to use CLSQL.  I've got asdf version 1.81, uffi version
> 1.4.20, clsql version 2.11.3 and CMUCL version 18c running on Debian
> Woody.  Everything goes fine until I try to load clsql-mysql.  Then this
> happens:

> File-error in function COMMON-LISP::INTERNAL-LOAD:
>    "modules:uffi-library" does not exist.
>

> The string "uffi-library" does not appear in any of the .asd files, so I
> am at a loss.  Guidance appreciated.

In <http://svn.b9.com/svn/clsql/clsql-mysql.asd> you'll see the form

    #+common-lisp-controller (require 'uffi)
    #-common-lisp-controller (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'uffi))

Looks like you have CMUCL installed via Debian (and thus there's
:COMMON-LISP-CONTROLLER on *FEATURES*) but UFFI installed
manually. These two approaches don't mix well unless you know what
you're doing.

Edi.
From: ·········@random-state.net
Edi Weitz <···@agharta.de> wrote:

> Looks like you have CMUCL installed via Debian (and thus there's
> :COMMON-LISP-CONTROLLER on *FEATURES*) but UFFI installed
> manually. These two approaches don't mix well unless you know what
> you're doing.

Aye. Initially I was delighted by the amount of cl-* packages in Debian,
but as the implications of common-lisp-controller wanting to rule the
world sank in I started using upstream packages for CL exclusively. The
dawn of asdf-install made that choise a lot easier. ,-)

That said, some people seem to manage it clc. You may want to investigate
the clc-register-user-package(1) manpage.

Not knowing your setup or requirement, this may be totally inapplicable,
but having the upstream CL implementation installed in /usr/local, and
installing packages under ~/ via asdf-install is really quite hassle-free
for a single user system. Having packages under ~/ is very nice when you
want to jump in and fix something: no need to copy anything over, fix,
reinstall, etc.

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus                   "Not as clumsy or random as a C++ or Java.
                             An elegant weapon for a more civilized time."
From: Rahul Jain
·········@random-state.net writes:

> That said, some people seem to manage it clc. You may want to investigate
> the clc-register-user-package(1) manpage.

It's basically trivial. I use it for my CVS checkout of mcclim as well
as all the packages I develop.

--
Rahul Jain
·····@nyct.net
From: Kevin M. Rosenberg
On 2004-05-30, Edi Weitz <···@agharta.de> wrote:
> In <http://svn.b9.com/svn/clsql/clsql-mysql.asd> you'll see the form
>   (eval-when (:compile-toplevel :load-toplevel :execute)
>     #+common-lisp-controller (require 'uffi)
>     #-common-lisp-controller (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'uffi))

You are correct, Edi -- that will cause problems mixing CLC and
non-CLC code. That complexity is not needed. I'll fix it on the next
upload of CLSQL.

Thanks!

--
Kevin Rosenberg
·····@rosenberg.net
From: Kevin M. Rosenberg
The best place for posting CLSQL questions is on the clsql-devel mail list.

--
Kevin Rosenberg
·····@rosenberg.net