From: sean kim
Subject: free lisp
hello,

I have a dell inspiron 4150, 1.75Ghz, 1 gig of Ram running Windows XP.

Which free implementation of LISP is safe for my system? It seems like
there are free implementations that have limitations and or are
cripplewares.

is there any fully functional free lisp for windows? or x window
systems?

thanks for any thoughts.

sean

From: David Steuber
Subject: Re: free lisp
···········@yahoo.com (sean kim) writes:

> I have a dell inspiron 4150, 1.75Ghz, 1 gig of Ram running Windows XP.
>
> Which free implementation of LISP is safe for my system? It seems like
> there are free implementations that have limitations and or are
> cripplewares.

Um, you're already running crippleware.

All the free implementations of Lisp are safe.

--
An ideal world is left as an excercise to the reader.
   --- Paul Graham, On Lisp 8.1
From: Andrew Wolven
"David Steuber" <·····@david-steuber.com> wrote in message
···················@david-steuber.com...
> ···········@yahoo.com (sean kim) writes:
>
> > I have a dell inspiron 4150, 1.75Ghz, 1 gig of Ram running Windows XP.
> >
> > Which free implementation of LISP is safe for my system? It seems like
> > there are free implementations that have limitations and or are
> > cripplewares.
>
> Um, you're already running crippleware.

Ha ha.

From: Gareth McCaughan
···········@yahoo.com (sean kim) writes:

> hello,
>
> I have a dell inspiron 4150, 1.75Ghz, 1 gig of Ram running Windows XP.
>
> Which free implementation of LISP is safe for my system? It seems like
> there are free implementations that have limitations and or are
> cripplewares.
>
> is there any fully functional free lisp for windows? or x window
> systems?

Have a look at the ALU web page. But, briefly, there are

  - CLISP, a very-free implementation (all source code
    available, GPL licence). Principal drawback: doesn't
    compile to native code.

  - Corman Lisp, a commercial implementation with an
    uncrippled free version. (What you lose is the IDE.)
    Comes with some source code; I forget how much.

  - LispWorks, a commercial implementation with a limited
    free version.

  - Allegro CL, a cmmercial implementation with a limited
    free version.

    [Note: I'm using "free" to mean "available without
    having to pay"; as you may know, the word has some
    other meanings what applied to software, to do with
    what freedoms the licence grants or denies you. Of
    the versions I've mentioned, CLISP is the only one
    that's free in those other senses.]

All of these are safe; none of them will melt your processor
or send pornographic e-mail to your mother. (Unless you
ask them to.) If by "safe" you mean "suitable for what I
want to do", we can't answer that without knowing more
about what you want to do :-). You can get quite a lot
done in the free versions of LispWorks and Allegro, which
are the only "crippled" ones.

Plentiful information about all these products is available
at their web sites:
    http://www.clisp.cons.org/
    http://www.cormanlisp.com/
    http://www.lispworks.com/
    http://www.franz.com/

--
Gareth McCaughan
.sig under construc
From: Svein Ove Aas
sean kim wrote:

> hello,
>
> I have a dell inspiron 4150, 1.75Ghz, 1 gig of Ram running Windows XP.
>
> Which free implementation of LISP is safe for my system? It seems like
> there are free implementations that have limitations and or are
> cripplewares.
>
> is there any fully functional free lisp for windows? or x window
> systems?

You'll get more later, unless I miss my guess, but here's a start:

Windows - CLISP works pretty much everywhere, but it's slow (and Free).
Corman's also el-cheapo.

Linux - SBCL/Emacs/SLIME is the usual setup, often with CMUCL instead of
SBCL.

Either way, you'll get more information on www.cliki.net, and you can get
a quick start by downloading "Lisp in a Box". (Windows, Linux & Mac)
From: Jan Gregor
> Windows - CLISP works pretty much everywhere, but it's slow (and Free).
> Corman's also el-cheapo.

I did some programs in it for my diploma thesis and found it fast
compared to Allegro. So it depends on your needs.

Jan
From: Svein Ove Aas
Jan Gregor wrote:

>> Windows - CLISP works pretty much everywhere, but it's slow (and Free).
>> Corman's also el-cheapo.
>>

> I did some programs in it for my diploma thesis and found it fast
> compared to Allegro. So it depends on your needs.

AFAIK, the bignum support in CLISP is top-notch, and unreasonably fast.
(Or perhaps everyone else is unreasonably slow..?)

The fact remains, however, that CLISP compiles to bytecode and ACL
compiles to machine code. ACL *should* be the fastest version; it's
certainly the most expensive.
From: John Thingstad
Try Corman Lisp. If you manage to make it under emacs/ilisp it is not bad

From: Stijn De Saeger
I tried Corman Lisp to play around with CL a bit on windows, and it looks
wonderful, but I have not been able to make it work in combination with
emacs. I followed the instructions on the lisp cookbook, even reinstalled
emacs from scratch (which was a pain), but nothing gives.

how do you do it?
s.

·····················@mjolner.upc.no...

From: Edi Weitz
On Fri, 28 May 2004 13:27:33 +0900, "Stijn De Saeger" <···@spammers.die> wrote:

> I tried Corman Lisp to play around with CL a bit on windows, and it
> looks wonderful, but I have not been able to make it work in
> combination with emacs. I followed the instructions on the lisp
> cookbook, even reinstalled emacs from scratch (which was a pain),
> but nothing gives.

Perhaps you have luck with these instructions:

  <http://artofprogramming.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=65>
  <http://artofprogramming.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=66>

If so you might consider sending patches for the cookbook document.

Cheers,
Edi.
From: John Thingstad
note that <http://artofprogramming.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=65> is for the
2.0
version of Corman. The path needs to be modified for 2.5.
use progra~1.5 as the path name.

From: Alexander Kjeldaas
sean kim wrote:
> hello,
>
> I have a dell inspiron 4150, 1.75Ghz, 1 gig of Ram running Windows XP.
>
> Which free implementation of LISP is safe for my system? It seems like
> there are free implementations that have limitations and or are
> cripplewares.
>
> is there any fully functional free lisp for windows? or x window
> systems?
>
> thanks for any thoughts.

My XP setup is this:

First coLinux (http://www.colinux.org/) with a Debian image.

Then sbcl installed under Debian using apt-get (command: apt-get install
sbcl).  Then you can install quite a lot of common lisp packages using
apt-get (the packages start with the cl- prefix).

If you want to do graphics, install the cygwin X server
(http://www.cygwin.com/) and run it (command: X -multiwindow).
Alternatives are RealVNC.

Then install PuTTY and connect to your running coLinux using ssh with X
forwarding.

Then you are set.

astor
From: Camm Maguire
Greetings!  GCL 2.6.2 is looking pretty good here.

Take care,

--
Camm Maguire			     			····@enhanced.com
From: John Thingstad
I use Corman lisp. It is no very crippled. The only restriction is that
you can not produce DLL's without'
a dialoge coming up from time to time. If I were to produce a commecial
product I suspect I would
buy it. At 200$ there seems no reson not to.

From: Frederic Bastenaire
Hi,

I am surprised that no one mentioned GNU Common Lisp in this thread
(GCL: cf http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gcl, a newer version exists 2.6.2,
check on this NG, as the homepage ist not up-to-date yet).
It is free (GNU Lesser General Public License), very efficient (translates to
 C and compiles). The CLOS issue is not yet 100% solved.
It works fine on win32 boxes, and compiles with MINGW32/MSYS. Binaries are
available from GNU's FTP site.
Anyway, it is woth trying, and the next version 2.7 should make it even more
interesting.

Cheers,

fr�d�ric Bastenaire (fba at free dot fr)