From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: CL standard ?
Hello,

I am totally new at CL and this newsgroup.

I want to learn and to know the CL standard.

I  have purchased a  copy of  the ANSI  INCITS norm  on ansistore  but I
can't download it.

I  have contacted  several times  people from  ansistore but  they don't
seem to be ready to answer me :(

Is  there in  this  assistance  (ie. this  newsgroup),  people from  the
ANSI/INCITS  normalization group  on CL  that  can help  me download  my
_purchased_ copy of the standard ?

Regards,
--
GnusFR  (http://www.gnusfr.org)
EmacsFR (http://www.emacsfr.org)

.emacs: Because customisation is fun!

From: Thomas Schilling
Subject: Re: CL standard ?
Xavier Maillard wrote:

> I want to learn and to know the CL standard.

See
http://www.lispworks.com/reference/HyperSpec/Front/Contents.htm
or
http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/6.2/ansicl/ansicl.htm
From: Barry Margolin
In article <················@news.CIS.DFN.DE>,
 Thomas Schilling <······@yahoo.de> wrote:

> Xavier Maillard wrote:
>
> > I want to learn and to know the CL standard.
>
> See
> http://www.lispworks.com/reference/HyperSpec/Front/Contents.htm
> or
> http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/6.2/ansicl/ansicl.htm

Those are alternatives to the real standard.  He already paid for the
official standard, and is asking how to access it.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Thomas Schilling
Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <················@news.CIS.DFN.DE>,
>  Thomas Schilling <······@yahoo.de> wrote:
>
>> Xavier Maillard wrote:
>>
>> > I want to learn and to know the CL standard.
>>
>> See
>> http://www.lispworks.com/reference/HyperSpec/Front/Contents.htm
>> or
>> http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/6.2/ansicl/ansicl.htm
>
> Those are alternatives to the real standard.  He already paid for the
> official standard, and is asking how to access it.

Sure. But I can't help with that. He should probably better tell his
problem to where he purchased the copies (he probably has). But as long as
he doesn't have the real standard these should be useful documents. And
more accessible, too.

:)

thomas
From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: [SOLVED] (was: CL standard ?)
On 25 May 2004, Thomas Schilling wrote:

> Barry Margolin wrote:
>
> > In article <················@news.CIS.DFN.DE>,
> > Thomas Schilling <······@yahoo.de> wrote:

> > > See
> > > http://www.lispworks.com/reference/HyperSpec/Front/Contents.htm
> > > or
> > > http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/6.2/ansicl/ansicl.htm
> >
> > Those are alternatives to the real standard. He already paid for the
> > official standard, and is asking how to access it.
>
> Sure. But I  can't help with that. He should  probably better tell his
> problem to  where he  purchased the copies  (he probably has).  But as
> long  as he  doesn't have  the real  standard these  should  be useful
> documents. And more accessible, too.

I finally could download the �crappy� standard document.

Thanks for your help and your pointers to more documentations...

I am quite disappointed by the _very poor quality_ of the CL standard' text
though...

Regards,
--
   ,--.    Xavier Maillard, Reims, France                   ,= ,-_-. =.
  / ,- )   http://www.emacsfr.org/                         ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Jeremy Yallop
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] (was: CL standard ?)
Xavier Maillard wrote:
> I finally could download the �crappy� standard document.
>
> Thanks for your help and your pointers to more documentations...
>
> I am quite disappointed by the _very poor quality_ of the CL standard' text
> though...

You might find the following thread of interest:

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=87u1c5mkjx.fsf%40kruhft.vc.shawcable.net

content, are available from ftp://parcftp.xerox.com/pub/cl .

Jeremy.
From: Jeremy Yallop
Xavier Maillard wrote:
> I finally could download the �crappy� standard document.
>
> Thanks for your help and your pointers to more documentations...
>
> I am quite disappointed by the _very poor quality_ of the CL standard' text
> though...

You might find the following thread of interest:

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=87u1c5mkjx.fsf%40kruhft.vc.shawcable.net

content to the final version, are available from
ftp://parcftp.xerox.com/pub/cl .

Jeremy.
From: Xavier Maillard
On 26 May 2004, Jeremy Yallop wrote:

> Xavier Maillard wrote:
> > I finally could download the �crappy� standard document.
> >
> > Thanks for your help and your pointers to more documentations...
> >
> > I  am  quite disappointed  by  the _very  poor  quality_  of the  CL
> > standard' text though...
>
> You might find the following thread of interest:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=87u1c5mkjx.fsf%40kruhft.vc.shawcable.net

> content to the final version, are available from
> ftp://parcftp.xerox.com/pub/cl .
>
> Jeremy.

Thanks
--
Hito no kokoro wa kawareru mono
From: Jacek Generowicz
Xavier Maillard <·····@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> I am quite disappointed by the _very poor quality_ of the CL standard' text
> though...

You're not the only one:

http://www.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=3239756833803284%40naggum.no

... and the surrounding thread.
From: Xavier Maillard
On 26 May 2004, Jacek Generowicz wrote:

> Xavier Maillard <·····@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>
> > I  am  quite disappointed  by  the _very  poor  quality_  of the  CL
> > standard' text though...
>
> You're not the only one:
>
> http://www.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=3239756833803284%40naggum.no
>
> ... and the surrounding thread.

Why they don't mention this on the ansistore website ??
From: Svein Ove Aas
Xavier Maillard wrote:

> On 26 May 2004, Jacek Generowicz wrote:
>
>> Xavier Maillard <·····@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>>
>> > I  am  quite disappointed  by  the _very  poor  quality_  of the  CL
>> > standard' text though...
>>
>> You're not the only one:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=3239756833803284%40naggum.no
>>
>> ... and the surrounding thread.
>
> Why they don't mention this on the ansistore website ??

Would you have bought it if they had?
From: Raymond Wiker
Xavier Maillard <·····@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> I finally could download the �crappy� standard document.
>
> Thanks for your help and your pointers to more documentations...
>
> I am quite disappointed by the _very poor quality_ of the CL standard' text
> though...

        That's been discussed on this newsgroup a few times in the
last years; apparently, ANSI has "mislaid" the electronic source, and
is supplying a PDF version of a bad scan of a paper copy.

        You would probably have been better off using the HTML
"versions" (the HyperSpec, and Franz' equivalent) along with "Common
Lisp, The Language" (either the first or the second edition).
Alternatively, you could have downloaded the last draft of the
standard a TeX source.

--
Raymond Wiker                        Mail:  ·············@fast.no
Senior Software Engineer             Web:   http://www.fast.no/

Try FAST Search: http://alltheweb.com/
From: Xavier Maillard
On 26 May 2004, Raymond Wiker wrote:

> Xavier Maillard <·····@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>
> > I finally could download the �crappy� standard document.
> >
> > Thanks for your help and your pointers to more documentations...
> >
> > I  am  quite disappointed  by  the _very  poor  quality_  of the  CL
> > standard' text though...
>
> That's been discussed on this newsgroup a few times in the
> last years; apparently, ANSI has "mislaid" the electronic source, and
> is supplying a PDF version of a bad scan of a paper copy.

Hmm, how can this happen ?? :p

> You would probably have been better off using the HTML
> "versions" (the HyperSpec, and Franz' equivalent) along with "Common
> Lisp, The Language" (either the first or the second edition).
> Alternatively, you could have downloaded the last draft of the
> standard a TeX source.

I  should  have asked  here  before  but as  I  have  always bought  the
ISO/ANSI standards  for all languages I  wanted to learn  (C, C++), this
is the first time I see a so poor document...

Regards,
--
Xavier MAILLARD (GnuPG: 1024D/1E028EA5)
EmacsOS user (http://emacsfr.org)
From: Xavier Maillard
On 26 May 2004, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:

> Xavier Maillard <·····@gnu-rox.org> writes:
> > I am quite disappointed by the _very poor quality_ of the CL
> > standard' text though...
>
> So was I.  I emailed ansistore repeatedly about this, but got no
> response.

So did I.

And since  I have downloaded  the document, I  can't claim for  a refund
now :(
--
No e-patents, pas de brevets logiciels
P�tition contre les brevets logiciels : http://petition.eurolinux.org
From: Christopher C. Stacy

 zeDek> On 26 May 2004, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
 >> Xavier Maillard <·····@gnu-rox.org> writes:
 >> > I am quite disappointed by the _very poor quality_ of the CL
 >> > standard' text though...
 >>
 >> So was I.  I emailed ansistore repeatedly about this, but got no
 >> response.

 zeDek> So did I.

 zeDek> And since  I have downloaded  the document, I  can't claim for  a refund

If you didn't receive the value that you paid for, then you can ask
for a refund.  If they are selling shoddy goods, and won't make good
on the transaction, you can sue them.  You are entitled to the value
of the deal that you agreed upon.  (In this case, it sounds like they
were unable to deliver the material you asked for, allegedly because
they accidently destroyed or lost the original or something, and they
have delivered a substitute product of lesser quality.  You are not
obligated to accept that; there are all kinds of consumer protection
laws regarding this kind of thing.)
From: Matthias Buelow
Subject: Re: [SOLVED]
Xavier Maillard wrote:

> And since  I have downloaded  the document, I  can't claim for  a refund
> now :(

well.. after all, you can enjoy the good conscience of having
contributed to the funding of the standards works... ;)

--
   Matthias Buelow; ···@{mukappabeta,informatik.uni-wuerzburg}.de