From: Espen Vestre
Subject: ai without lisp
I noticed that DFKI posted job openings on comp.ai today, and thought
I'd had a look at what they're doing these days (I worked at the CL
department in Saarbr�cken, which cooperated a lot with DFKI, until
10 years ago):

>  * 200431 - Three researchers and software engineers in the area of
>     semantic web and question answering, starting around 07/04
>     (05.05.2004, closing date 15.06.2004)
>               http://www.dfki.de/lt/job_details.php?id=200431

I quote:

    * Information extraction
    * Linguistic analysis
    * Software technologies based on XML, RDF, OWL (e.g., Prot?g?, Jena)
    * Software development in Java
    * Machine learning
    * Ontology-based QA
    * Evaluation of QA

Good grief! And this used to be a thriving lisp community!
Is this typical for AI/CL research centers these days?

(In case you think RDF means Reality Distortion Field: It doesn't.
 It means Resource Description Framework. But from what I've seen
 of RDF, I think you need an RDF to work with it :-()
--
  (espen)