From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Re: macro-biology
David Steuber <·····@david-steuber.com> writes:

> First question.  Can a macro only expand into code?  Or can I define a
> macro that will expand into XML for printing?  This expansion may be

This is not directly related to your question, but it looks like a
good occasion to mention this.  The well known paper "Using the New
Common Lisp Pretty Printer" by Richard Waters (available online) may
be a useful source of insight and "aha..." moments about printing
issues.

Paolo
Recommended Common Lisp libraries/tools (Google for info on each):
- ASDF/ASDF-INSTALL: system building/installation
- CL-PPCRE: regular expressions
- UFFI: Foreign Function Interface

From: David Steuber
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:

> David Steuber <·····@david-steuber.com> writes:
>
> > First question.  Can a macro only expand into code?  Or can I define a
> > macro that will expand into XML for printing?  This expansion may be
>
> This is not directly related to your question, but it looks like a
> good occasion to mention this.  The well known paper "Using the New
> Common Lisp Pretty Printer" by Richard Waters (available online) may
> be a useful source of insight and "aha..." moments about printing
> issues.

Would this be the paper you are referring to?

  http://www.merl.com/papers/TR93-17/

Google turns up nine or ten hits on the quoted title of the paper.
This one is at the top.

--
I wouldn't mind the rat race so much if it wasn't for all the damn cats.
From: Paolo Amoroso
David Steuber <·····@david-steuber.com> writes:

> Would this be the paper you are referring to?
>
>   http://www.merl.com/papers/TR93-17/

Yes, it is.